Simple Question about rotational motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tangential acceleration in a moving car and how it relates to the point of contact between the tire and the ground. The point of contact has a velocity of 0 relative to the ground, and there is confusion about whether the tangential acceleration at this point is also zero. It is clarified that the acceleration is changing from negative to positive at the point of contact, and while it is zero at this instant, it is not zero when looking at a fixed coordinate system. This helps explain the concept and resolves the initial confusion.
elyons
A car is moving foreword with a constant acceleration. I know the point of the tire in contact with the ground has a velocity of 0 (relative to the ground). Is the tangential acceleration at this point also zero? I came across an example problem in my text where this occurs and and it does not make sense to me conceptually. If someone could give me a brief explanation I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the motion of the point of contact immediately before and immediately after it it makes contact?

So the acceleration hits zero because it is changing from negative to positive but has an identical magnitude on both side of the point of contact? So the point has a tangential acceleration relative to the center of the wheel just not to the ground?

elyons said:
So the acceleration hits zero because it is changing from negative to positive but has an identical magnitude on both side of the point of contact? So the point has a tangential acceleration relative to the center of the wheel just not to the ground?
What is changing from negative to positive?

The tangential acceleration in terms of a fixed coordinate system. The velocity is accelerated to 0 as a point on the tire approaches the point of contact on the ground and after it reaches the point it is accelerated positively to increase the velocity of that point again. So at the instant the point is in contact with the ground the acceleration is 0. Sorry if I am not explaining my question clearly but writing it out like this I think I have worked it out so this helped! Thanks.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point, rather than in a straight line. It is measured in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. In linear motion, the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object are measured along a single direction, whereas in rotational motion, they are measured along a circular path.

What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Rotational motion can be seen in many everyday objects, such as a spinning top, a merry-go-round, a Ferris wheel, a record player, and a spinning planet. It also occurs in more complex systems, such as the rotation of the Earth around its axis and the rotation of the planets around the sun.

What is the formula for calculating rotational motion?

The formula for rotational motion is similar to that of linear motion, but uses angular variables. For example, angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time, and angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.

How is rotational motion used in engineering and technology?

Rotational motion has many practical applications in engineering and technology, such as in the design of gears, turbines, and engines. It is also used in robotics and manufacturing processes, such as in the rotation of industrial machinery and the movement of robotic arms.