1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about the domain of sec x

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A problem in my textbook gives the domain of sec x as [0,(pi/2)) U ((pi/2), pi]. This makes perfect sense of course. However, it is asking for an alternate domain. I've looked at the graphs of both sec x and arcsec x to try to figure out a different domain for sec x(I looked at the range of arcsec x obviously), and I can't seem to come up with anything. Anyone know a different domain that can apply to the sec x? It seems like it shouldn't be hard, but for some reason I cannot get it. I've searched the internet for a different domai and kept finding the same as the one in my textbook.

2. Relevant equations
    y = sec x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could only restate the domain as 0<= x <= pi, where x =/ (pi/2)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would think that the domain of [itex]\sec x[/itex] includes a whole lot more than that...
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Secant.html

I suspect that the question is asking for an alternative range for [tex]\sec^{-1}[/itex] instead.

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    That was something I was somewhat confused on, whether it was asking for a new domain for the sec x or a new range arcsec x. I was looking at the domain of sec x in terms of it being a one-to-one function. So the domain previously stated creates that. I also focused on a different range for arcsec, but I still can't seem to figure anything out. I actually visited that same site earlier, before posting here.

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's say I know that:
    [tex]\sec x = 1[/tex]
    can you list the possible values of [itex]x[/itex]?

How does this compare to your notion of
    [tex]\sec^{-1} 1[/tex]

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    If sec x = 1, then the possible values for x are pi/4 and 5pi/4.
    Arcsec 1 would yield the same thing wouldn't it? Arcsec 1 is the same thing as saying what angle yields a sec of 1, which is the same thing as the sec x = 1. I know you're trying to steer me in a certain direction, but I'm not sure I'm seeing that direction. Sorry about the delayed response, I had a few classes.

7. Jan 25, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Plus all multiples of [itex]2\pi[/itex]! There are an infinite number of values of x such that sec(x)= 1.

No, it's not. Arcsec(x) is a function and can return only one value. WHAT value that is depends on how you restrict sec(x) so that it is one-to-one (that's the whole point of this exercise). The standard choice is restrict sec(x) to x between [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]3\pi/2[/itex].

8. Jan 25, 2008 #7
    I'm confused as to why you'd restrict the domain of the sec x to -pi/2 to 3pi/2. If you used that domain as the range of the arcsec x, would that even work? The range of the arcsec x is 0 to pi. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question. Here it is, from the book:

In the definition above, the inverse secant function is defined by restricting the domain of the secant function to the intervals [0, pi/2)U(pi/2, pi]. Most other texts and references agree with this, but some disagree. What other domains might make sense?

9. Jan 25, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I wrote that very quickly, after looking at a rough graph! 0 to pi, skipping, of course, pi/2 looks right. The other possible values would then be pi to 2pi, skipping, 3pi/2, or -pi to 0, skipping -pi/2. On each of those sec is single valued so arcsec exists. Any of those can be used to define arcsin. The "usual rule" is to stay as close to 0 as possible.

10. Jan 26, 2008 #9
    That's why I'm confused. It seems too simple to just change the domain in that manner and say it is a "new" domain, much less have some text books "disagree" with the stated domain. I'm going to e-mail my professor about this as well. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?