Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question for you

1. Sep 26, 2003 #1
    I am no science or physics major but this is my first quiz. I have this problem:
    How much force must be applied to accelerate a 10,000-kg space shuttle to counter the earth's gravitational acceleration of 9.8 meters per second square?
    I took 9.8m/s^2 * 10,000 for 98,000 newtons.
    Is that correct?
    Your help is much appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2

Staff: Mentor

Followup: the space shuttle accelerates at roughly 3g's at liftoff. What's the force? (careful, its a bit of a trick question)
  4. Sep 26, 2003 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far so good. Here's a conceptual helping hand: "g" is always called "acceleration due to gravity," but that's a misnomer (wrong name). An object only has an acceleration equal to "g" when it is in free fall in a vaccuum.

Think of "g" as the gravitational field intensity, and no matter what is happening, the gravitational force on something will be "mg" . A lot of people get confused by multiplying mass times an "acceleration" when the darn thing isn't going anywhere!

Hope this is helpful.
  5. Sep 27, 2003 #4
    It's an acceleration vector field, equivalent to accelerating at 9.8 m/s2 away from a massless earth. By the equivalence principle, the difference between being stationary in a vector field and accelerating is an illusion.
    gnickg this problem is about finding where forces balance, balanced forces are equal to each other- you solved it the right way.
  6. Sep 30, 2003 #5
    Thanks everyone for your help on my physics question. I got an "A"...!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?