1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question from Peskin Schroeder

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    Could you help me please, Im sure it is not even worthy of your attention, but anyway...

In Peskin, Schroeder - from expresion [tex] <0|\phi(x)\phi(y)|0> [/tex] survives [tex] <0|a_p a_q^\dag|0> [/tex] so it creates one-particle state |q> at position y and another one-particle state | p> at postion x. But how do I intuitively see that causuality/propagation of particle between these positions is imbeded and considered in that expresion?

And another question [tex] <0|\phi(x)|p>=.......e^ipx[/tex] formula 2.42

it's said that it is a position-space representation of the state |p> just as in NR QM <x|p>, so it should be projection of single-particle |p> state onto the <x| baisis and what vectors/basis that state is projected on? where is that <x| vectors in 2.42

P.S. Im sure i missed something very simple in understanding of above and that's why posting such "silly" questions

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2
    (1) I think the expresion [tex] <0|\phi(x)\phi(y)|0> [/tex]
    survives [tex] <0|a_p a_q^\dag|0> [/tex] means:
    [tex] <0|a_p^\dag a_q^\dag|0> [/tex]=0 and [tex] <0|a_p a_q|0> [/tex]=0;
    only [tex] <0|a_p a_q^\dag|0> [/tex] survives, of course p and q are arbitary,
    not single p and single q. the final result will be an integral over all possible p or q.

(2) [tex] <0|\phi(x)=<x|[/tex], this is a simple calculation.
    there is no special physical significance here, the author, I guess, just mentioned NR
    case to make the formula be easily understood.
  4. Sep 8, 2005 #3
    Dear Snooper007 thks for ur reply..
    but [tex] <0|\phi(x)[/tex] it is a complex conjugation of [tex] \phi(x)|0>[/tex] (as u mentioned in QM forum). So [tex] <0|\phi(x)=\int{\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_p}e^{ipx}<p|[/tex]

but with [tex] <0|\phi(x)=<x|[/tex] Im confused <-How/why it's that?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?