Finding the Coefficient of Friction: A Simple Question on a 15 Degree Incline

• Thread starter Mon0308
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving a 100kg box on an incline. The box only begins to slide when the incline reaches 15 degrees and the person is looking for the coefficient of friction. However, they will need to provide more information and show their attempts at solving the problem in order to receive help.
Mon0308
Okay, so here's the simple question...I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong so I won't elaborate on what I have done or not done...

At the *second an incline rises to 15 degrees, the 100kg box on it begins to slide.

What is the coefficient of friction?

*Note: the box does not move until the incline HITS 15 degrees, no more, no less.

That is the problem verbatim.

Any help would be great!

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you will have to elaborate on what you've done if you wish to receive help. If it is a simple mistake it will be a lot easier for people helping to look at your working.

Physics Forums Global Guidelines said:
NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

Hello, thank you for reaching out with your question. Finding the coefficient of friction can be a bit tricky, but here are some steps you can follow to determine the correct value:

1. First, we need to understand what coefficient of friction means. It is a measure of how much resistance there is between two surfaces when one is moving over the other. In this case, the two surfaces are the incline and the box.

2. We also need to know the formula for coefficient of friction, which is μ = F/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. Now, let's consider the situation described in the question. The box begins to slide when the incline reaches 15 degrees. This means that the force of friction (F) is equal to the force of gravity pulling the box down the incline.

4. We also know that the normal force (N) is equal to the weight of the box, which is 100kg in this case.

5. Using the formula μ = F/N, we can plug in the values we know: μ = F/N = (100kg)(9.8m/s^2)/100kg = 9.8m/s^2.

6. Therefore, the coefficient of friction in this scenario is 9.8m/s^2.

It is important to note that the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the surfaces involved, so this value may not be the same for all situations. I hope this helps you understand how to find the coefficient of friction in this particular case. If you are still having trouble, feel free to provide more information on what you have tried so far, and I can assist you further. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of "Simple Question, I hope it is"?

The purpose of "Simple Question, I hope it is" is to encourage individuals to ask straightforward and concise questions that can be easily understood and answered.

2. How do I formulate a simple question?

To formulate a simple question, try to focus on one specific topic or issue and use clear and direct language. Avoid using complex or technical terms and keep the question brief and to the point.

3. Why is it important to ask simple questions in science?

Asking simple questions in science is important because it allows for better understanding and communication among scientists, as well as with the general public. It also helps to facilitate the scientific process and promote critical thinking.

4. Can simple questions lead to complex discoveries?

Yes, simple questions can often lead to complex discoveries. By breaking down a complex problem into simpler questions, scientists are able to focus on specific aspects and make incremental progress towards a larger understanding or breakthrough.

5. How can I encourage others to ask simple questions?

You can encourage others to ask simple questions by leading by example and asking simple questions yourself. You can also create a supportive and non-judgmental environment where individuals feel comfortable asking questions and seeking clarification.