How Does Mass Affect Acceleration and Deceleration in a Lorry?

• Thread starter RoryOBigtool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the unloaded lorry reaches a velocity of 30mph in 10 seconds and then travels at constant velocity for half a minute before the driver applies the brakes and brings the vehicle to rest over a distance of D m. The loaded lorry then accelerates over a distance of 80m to attain a velocity of 30mph again. The vehicle subsequently maintains constant velocity before decelerating to rest at a rate of R m/s2.
RoryOBigtool

Homework Statement

Ok I have been given an assignment and asked to answer questions about a lorry loaded and unloaded. the Text is as follows:
An unloaded lorry of mass M kg accelerates from rest and reaches a velocity of 30mph in 10 seconds. It then travels at constant velocity for half a minute before the driver applies the brakes and brings the vehicle to rest over a distance of D m.
The lorry is then loaded with 800 kg of building materials that need to be transported over a total distance of 0.6 km. After loading, the lorry accelerates over a distance of 80m to attain a velocity of 30mph again. The vehicle subsequently maintains constant velocity before decelerating to rest at a rate of R m/s2.

M=2300KG D = 70m R = 1.5m/s^2

Homework Equations

The questions exactly
Find for the unloaded lorry:

i) the force required to accelerate the vehicle, and the retarding force necessary to bring it to rest;
ii) the total time and the total distance traveled during this period.

Find for the loaded lorry :

i) the force required to accelerate the vehicle and the retarding force necessary to bring it
to rest;

ii) the total time taken during this period and the distance traveled at constant velocity.

c) Calculate the % change in the momentum of the lorry from loaded to unloaded, whilst traveling at the specified constant velocities.

d) Draw the ‘velocity-time’ graph of the motion of the lorry in its unloaded and loaded states, indicating clearly salient points and values.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using V^2 = U^2 +2as , V=S/t and general thinking but I am 100% sure that I am incorect. i got answers like 0.65 m/s^2 which seemed possible but it is half the acceleration than when the lorry was unloaded, i think half is too little if only 800KG was added. i also got stupid answers like 15.67 m/s^2

can some one help me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read your own post again and you'll see why I can't understand it at all. What information is provided about the unloaded lorry? What's the actual question? Why does the 0.6 km matter?

I believe you left out some info regarding the unloaded lorry, like its acceleration, speed, etc. And you left out the question as well. Please re-write this problem in its entirety.

hey i edited the original message. i think i have got the full way to B) correctly. I need B to continue though, so you can see my de lima. I usually know what I am talking about when it comes to physics but this has really stumped me! any help is a positive result :)

Also does anyone know the value of e in the equation of electric field strength ( E = 1 / 4(pie) eo er x Q1Q2/r^2 )?

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing, either by increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while acceleration is a scalar quantity, only indicating the rate of change of velocity.

4. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object's velocity changes by 1 meter per second.

5. What are some examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster making a loop, a ball rolling down a hill, and a rocket launching into space. Acceleration can also occur in non-physical contexts, such as in learning or career growth.