Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question of vocabulary

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi.

When you say "The ratio of the period of the r motion to the period of revolution", does it mean

[tex]\frac{T_r}{T_\theta}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{T_\theta}{T_r}[/tex]

?

Judging by the words, I would say it's the first one, but I have many mathmatical reasons to think it it's the second one. I would like a confirmation that it means the second one. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2
    Think of it this way. Take the general statement "the ratio of a to b is x:y". This means [itex]a:b=x:y[/itex], so [itex]\frac{a}{b}=\frac{x}{y}[/itex]. This makes sense. Say the ratio is 4. You can convert this to ratio form: [itex]4:1[/itex]. If [itex]a:b[/itex] is [itex]4:1[/itex], then if [itex]b=1[/itex], [itex]a=4[/itex], and if [itex]b=2[/itex], [itex]a=8[/itex], and so on...meaning that in general [itex]a=4b[/itex], so [itex]\frac{a}{b}=\frac{4}{1}[/itex]. Hope this is clear.

4. Oct 23, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then there's an error in the book!!

5. Oct 23, 2004 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Simple question of physics

Given that the above sentence means in fact

[tex]\frac{T_r}{T_\theta}[/tex]

Does the following sentence make sense (in the context of a particle moving under a central (radial) force with angular momentum non nul)

"If the ratio of the period of the r motion to the period of revolution is an integer, the orbit is a simple closed curved."

Consider the following simple counter exemple:

[tex]\frac{T_r}{T_\theta}=2 \Leftrightarrow T_r=2T_\theta \ (1:2)[/tex]

Meaning after the particle has covered 4 pi rad around the center of force, the radial oscillation has completed one period. How can that make for a simple closed curve? There will necessarily be an intersection. Whereas if it means the opposite,

[tex]\frac{T_\theta}{T_r}=2[/tex]

the curve is closed and much simpler has it does not intersect with itself.

So is it me or there's an error in the book?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?