Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Simple Question on Anti-Particles.

1. Feb 12, 2019 #1
    So just recently learning about anti particles and I can't seem to find the answer to such a seemingly easy question but here goes. Let's say you have a negatively charged delta particle Δ-, is that the anti particle of Δ+ just how the e+ positron is the anti particle of an e- electron because in one of my text books it shows the Δ- with a line atop it indicating that it is an antiparticle is this like a case of a double negative equaling a positive? or am I needlessly getting confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2019 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I'm not a particle physics expert, but I can answer this one. If you look at the quark constituents of the delta baryons (for example, here on Wikipedia), you will see that the Δ+ is uud, and the Δ- is ddd. So they are not antiparticles of each other. There is an antiparticle of the Δ+ which is (anti-up, anti-up, anti-down) and an antiparticle of the Δ- which is (anti-down, anti-down, anti-down).

4. Feb 12, 2019 #3
    Ahh ok thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?