Simple question on direction of friction.

In summary, kinetic friction opposes slipping between surfaces. Static friction does as well, but it's easier to find the direction of kinetic friction.
coreankim
I was doing some problems, and this thought occurred to me. I've attached the question with the diagrams. Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• friction question gif.GIF
    friction question gif.GIF
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,768
Physics news on Phys.org
In your second example, the answer is: It depends!

It depends on the force the man is exerting on the block. For example, if he pushes up the incline with a force that just balances the component of weight down the incline, the friction would be zero. No direction whatsoever.

The key is this: Friction always opposes slipping between the surfaces. Look at all the force besides friction that are "trying" to make the object slip along the surface. Friction will oppose that.

(Good question. :wink: )

I see! Thanks again.

Actually, that didn't entirely answer my question. Here is the attachment.

Attachments

• untitled2.GIF
    untitled2.GIF
    10 KB · Views: 751
The block doesn't "know" that a man is pushing it. All it "knows" is that there is a net force on it acting down the ramp from all the non-friction forces. This force will tend to make the block slide down the ramp, so friction acts up the ramp to prevent slipping.

Always ask: If there were no friction, which way would the surfaces slide? Friction acts to oppose that sliding.

Friction always points in the direction opposite the net force (excluding friction): this makes intuitive sense. However, this is not always true. For example, let's say that a car that was going up on an inclined plane suddenly breaks. In this case, the only force other than friction that acts on the car is weight, which points down the plane. However, because the car still needs to go some amount up the plane before it stops, friction also points down the plane. The direction of friction and the net force excluding friction point in the same direction.

Am I not accounting for a force, or does friction not always point in the direction opposite the net force?

Attachments

• untitled3.GIF
    untitled3.GIF
    3.3 KB · Views: 651
coreankim said:
Friction always points in the direction opposite the net force (excluding friction): this makes intuitive sense.
That's a useful rule for static situations, not when sliding occurs.

The rule that always works is: Friction acts to oppose slipping between surfaces.

However, this is not always true. For example, let's say that a car that was going up on an inclined plane suddenly breaks. In this case, the only force other than friction that acts on the car is weight, which points down the plane. However, because the car still needs to go some amount up the plane before it stops, friction also points down the plane. The direction of friction and the net force excluding friction point in the same direction.
I'll assume you are talking about a block sliding up an incline (let's not worry about wheels, etc.). So we are talking about kinetic friction, not static. It's easy to find the direction of kinetic friction: As the block slides up, the friction points down; as it slides down, the friction points up.

Let me know if I answered your question.

Ah! That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion of two surfaces in contact with each other.

What factors affect the direction of friction?

The direction of friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the angle at which the surfaces are in contact.

How does the direction of friction affect motion?

The direction of friction can either aid or resist motion. If the direction of friction is opposite to the direction of motion, it will slow down or stop the object's motion. If the direction of friction is in the same direction as motion, it can help the object move forward.

How can you determine the direction of friction?

The direction of friction can be determined by using the right hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand point in the direction of motion, your thumb will point in the direction of friction.

What are some real-life examples of the direction of friction?

Some examples of the direction of friction in daily life include walking on a rough surface, riding a bike, and braking a car. In all of these situations, friction is used to either help or hinder motion.