1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question on functions.

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    I just need help turning a function of x into a function of y.

I'll give you an example and maybe you can explain it and expand upon the idea.

Thanks in advance.

y = x^2 -5x (see a very simple function! I just can't figure out how to convert it).

or y = x^2 - 2x

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What you're asking is not clear, but I think you are talking about finding the inverse function. In your first example, y = f(x) = x2 - 5x. Here y is a function of x. It is not, however, a one-to-one function, so the inverse will not be a function.

To solve for x in terms of y, complete the square.
    y = x2 - 5x
    ==> y = x2 - 5x + (5/2)2 - (5/2)2 = (x - 5/2)2 - (5/2)2

Can you take it from there?

To make the inverse a function, restrict the domain of the original function to make it one-to-one.

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Beware, however: your function y = x2 - 5x (the graph of which is a parabola) assigns two different values of x to the same value of y . So when you "invert" this to get x = "something" , you will get a plus-or-minus sign, which tells us that we get back two functions of y , each corresponding to half of the original parabola.

This is always a problem with even powers of x in a function; reversing the direction to return from y to x gives two possible values of x which could have led to that value of y , and a "rule" which assigns one value of y to two values of x is NOT a function. That's why we need to split your result into two parts. (We don't have this problem with odd powers of x .)

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4
    Thank you for your answers.
    Yes I was looking to complete the square, and now that I've seen this it is quite a bit more complicated then I expected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook