Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question on geometry

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    Hi,

I'm rotating an image 105 degrees on a polar grid. I know the top half of the polar grid is 0 degrees to 180 degrees, but what about the bottom half? Is it the same as the top 0 degrees to 180 degrees, or does it go all the way to 360 degrees.

Oops, forgot to clarify in case my question is too vague. Ok, let's say I have an image on the top half of the grid which is 0 degrees to 180 degrees. I have to rotate it , and the new figure would end up on the bottom half the grid. Polar grids are shaped like a circle. I have to map the points of the original image and the new image. Would the bottom image points be 180 degrees to 360 degrees or 0 degrees to 180 degrees.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Generally, you would have the polar angle covering 0 to 360 degrees for a full rotation (i.e. it covers both top and bottom) but there is nothing wrong with 0 to 180 (counterclockwise) on the top and 0 to -180 (clockwise) on the bottom starting from the same reference direction (x-axis).

4. Sep 25, 2004 #3
    So if I was mapping the points, would it be -75 degrees for example, or would it be over 180 degrees, I am just rotating an image.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?