1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Question on Natural Logarithms

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    Hey, I really would appreciate some help with this one as I'm stuck on my coursework. It'll probably be easy for most of you but I forgot how to do this operation with logarithms. See this equation:

lny = lnx + BlnK + (1 - B)lnL.

How can I change that to one that removes the natural logarithms by means of using x = e^lnx? Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2
    Thank you very much!
  4. Nov 16, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is really hilarious! You ask for someone to do your homework for you, showing absolutely no work of your own, then someone gives you a WRONG answer and you accept it without a thought!

ea+b is NOT equal to ea+ eb!

But A ln x= ln xA and ln x+ ln y= ln xy. Use those to write the left hand side as a single logarithm.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. Nov 17, 2006 #4
    HallsofIvy, please react proportionately to the situation. It was just a simple question and no big deal; the equation was just one out of a couple of alternatives I could solve to proceed with my coursework. I felt it was an insignifcant question so I didn't really believe it necessary to show all my workings. Nevertheless, thank you for your input.
  6. Nov 17, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Curious, that is pretty proportional. The situation is extremely ironic, and from now on if someone posts a question without showing work, I'm going to offer three possible solution routes, only one of which is correct. Absolutely brilliant.
  7. Nov 17, 2006 #6
    Talking about sound judgement and proportionality...
  8. Nov 17, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Should I have said nothing and let you think you had a correct answer?
    I don't dislike you that much!

I pointed out that you were making a mistake and explained how to get the correct answer. And you criticize me?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?