Simple question on Newtons third law of motion

In summary, the question is why the windscreen of a truck doesn't shatter when a fly strikes it at high speed. The answer is that while the fly experiences a large force, its mass is small, resulting in a moderate force that is not strong enough to shatter the glass. Additionally, the mass of the truck is much larger, so the moderate force does not significantly slow it down.
sanado
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me with a question that has been bugging me for a while now. I've thought of many possibilities to the answer yet i still can't find the right one. The question is that, when a fly strikes the windshield of a truck moving at let's say 60km/h, why doesn't the windscreen shatter. The fly would experience a huge force in order to make it travel at the same speed of the truck and according to Newtons third law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefor, wouldn't that huge force on the fly cause a huge reaction on the glass, hence shattering you?

Any assistance to this question would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
While it's certainly true that the contact force exerted on the fly equals the force exerted on the windscreen (thanks to Newton's 3rd), why assume that a force that would splatter a fly is sufficient to shatter a windscreen?

I think that you are confusing the force on the fly (tiny) with the effects of the force (huge acceleration, thus squish). The windscreen area the fly hits depresses a tiny bit to provide this tiny force.

sanado said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me with a question that has been bugging me for a while now. I've thought of many possibilities to the answer yet i still can't find the right one. The question is that, when a fly strikes the windshield of a truck moving at let's say 60km/h, why doesn't the windscreen shatter. The fly would experience a huge force in order to make it travel at the same speed of the truck and according to Newtons third law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefor, wouldn't that huge force on the fly cause a huge reaction on the glass, hence shattering you?

Any assistance to this question would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
This is actually a 2nd law question, not 3rd law. The fly experiences a very large acceleration, but since its mass is very small by F = ma you get a moderate force. The reaction force is equal and opposite, so it also is moderate and therefore not strong enough to shatter the glass. Also, since the mass of the car is so large the moderate force doesn't decelerate it very much at all.

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does Newton's third law of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's third law of motion can be seen in many everyday situations, such as when we walk, run, or even sit in a chair. When we walk, our feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back with an equal force, propelling us forward.

Can you give an example of Newton's third law of motion?

One example of Newton's third law of motion is a rocket launching into space. The rocket exerts a force downward with its engines, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force upward, allowing the rocket to lift off.

How does Newton's third law of motion relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's third law of motion is closely related to the other two laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, which can be seen in the reaction force of Newton's third law. The second law relates the force applied to an object with its acceleration, and the third law shows that this force always has an equal and opposite reaction.

Why is Newton's third law of motion important in the field of science?

Newton's third law of motion is crucial in understanding and explaining the behavior of objects in motion. It allows scientists to predict and explain the effects of forces on objects and their interactions with each other. This law is also essential in designing and engineering systems, such as airplanes and cars, that require a thorough understanding of forces.