1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question on polynomials

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    If f(x)=x^2 - 4x, determine an expression for g(x)

g(x) = f(x + 2)

How would I substitute f(x) when they are separated?

my attempt

g(x) = x^2 - 4x (x + 2)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2
    OK, first are you happy with this one: we have f(x) = x^2 - 4x, what is f(a)?
    (Answer: f(a) = a^2 - 4a. i.e. you just plug a into wherever x used to appear. It does NOT mean "f(a) = f(x) * a", which is similar to what you seem to have done in your attempt.)

Now, use the same technique for f(x+2). We just plug (x+2) into wherever x used to appear. What do you reckon the answer should be?

Once you have written f(x+2) as a polynomial, then we can call it g(x), or h(x) or y(x). So the "g(x) = " bit isn't that important.
  4. Feb 5, 2007 #3
    Ok so the solution would be:

(x + 2) ^2 - 4x
    x^2 + 4x - 4X + 4

answer: x^2 + 4
  5. Feb 5, 2007 #4
    Almost. You skipped substituting (x+2) in for one of your x's.
  6. Feb 6, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will be a lot easier if you use "a+2" instead of "x+2" then switch it back so you know you swapped them all. Much harder to make a mistake.
  7. Feb 6, 2007 #6
    f(x)=x^2 -4x

f(2) = 2^2 -4*2
    f(3) = 3^2 -4*3
    f(m) = m^2 -4*m
    whatever is inside those parenthesis next to f, you're going to substitute for every x inside the original function.

f( :approve: ) = :approve: ^2 -4*:approve:

What helps sometimes is to just put in parenthesis where x is, then go back and fill them in...

(____)^2 - 4*(____)

Then, put into those parenthesis whatever is f(HERE)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?