1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question on proving polar coordinates

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove: $$\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt} = \dot{\phi} \hat{\phi }$$ and $$\frac{d\hat{\phi}}{dt} = -\dot{\phi} \hat{r }$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved this for an Analytical Mechanics assignment a month ago, and completely forgot how it goes..
    $$\hat{r} ⊥ \hat{\phi}$$
    An change from r1 to r2 will create a ##Δ\phi## that is in the ##\hat{\phi}## direction...
    and because ##\hat{r} ⊥ \hat{\phi}##, we can say the same happens for a change from ##\phi1## to ##\phi2## except in the ##-\hat{r}## direction. Assuming the change is infinitesimal, we can write ##Δr## or ##Δ\phi## as d/dt.

But then I'm confused because, why are we assuming a change from r1 to r2 is a rotation by ##Δ\phi,## and not a change of the length r..? Am I getting something completely wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2
    Go back to definition:
    ##\hat r = \cos(\phi(t)) \vec i + \sin(\phi(t)) \vec j ##
    ##\hat \phi = -\sin(\phi(t)) \vec i + \cos(\phi(t)) \vec j ##

And use time derivative

4. Dec 9, 2014 #3
    Go back to definition:
    ##\hat r = \cos(\phi(t)) \vec i + \sin(\phi(t)) \vec j ##
    ##\hat \phi = -\sin(\phi(t)) \vec i + \cos(\phi(t)) \vec j ##

And use time derivative

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    Thank you so much!
    My professor emphasized the geometric interpretation of the answers that I completely forgot about those definitions.
    Worked like magic, problem solved.

By the way, is there a reason why you're writing ##\vec{i}## and not ##\hat{i}##?
    I'm used to ##\hat{i}## as a notation for unit vectors, but do you mean the same thing or are you referring to something else?

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5
    Yes you're right, I meant ##\hat i## and ## \hat j ##.
    For clear explanations and nice drawings, look up Kleppner and Kolenkow first chapter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted