Simple question on proving polar coordinates

In summary, the change from r1 to r2 results in a ##Δ\phi## that is in the ##\hat{\phi}## direction.
A2Airwaves

Homework Statement

Prove: $$\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt} = \dot{\phi} \hat{\phi }$$ and $$\frac{d\hat{\phi}}{dt} = -\dot{\phi} \hat{r }$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this for an Analytical Mechanics assignment a month ago, and completely forgot how it goes..
$$\hat{r} ⊥ \hat{\phi}$$
An change from r1 to r2 will create a ##Δ\phi## that is in the ##\hat{\phi}## direction...
and because ##\hat{r} ⊥ \hat{\phi}##, we can say the same happens for a change from ##\phi1## to ##\phi2## except in the ##-\hat{r}## direction. Assuming the change is infinitesimal, we can write ##Δr## or ##Δ\phi## as d/dt.

But then I'm confused because, why are we assuming a change from r1 to r2 is a rotation by ##Δ\phi,## and not a change of the length r..? Am I getting something completely wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to definition:
##\hat r = \cos(\phi(t)) \vec i + \sin(\phi(t)) \vec j ##
##\hat \phi = -\sin(\phi(t)) \vec i + \cos(\phi(t)) \vec j ##

And use time derivative

Go back to definition:

And use time derivative

geoffrey159 said:
Go back to definition:

And use time derivative
Thank you so much!
My professor emphasized the geometric interpretation of the answers that I completely forgot about those definitions.
Worked like magic, problem solved.

By the way, is there a reason why you're writing ##\vec{i}## and not ##\hat{i}##?
I'm used to ##\hat{i}## as a notation for unit vectors, but do you mean the same thing or are you referring to something else?

Yes you're right, I meant ##\hat i## and ## \hat j ##.
For clear explanations and nice drawings, look up Kleppner and Kolenkow first chapter.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction.

2. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a different system of measurement, with distance being represented by a radius and angle being used instead of x and y coordinates. Polar coordinates are also better suited for describing circular or symmetric shapes.

3. How do you convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates using the following formulas:
x = r cosθ
y = r sinθ
Where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the reference direction.

4. How do you plot points using polar coordinates?

To plot a point using polar coordinates, start at the origin and move a distance of r in the direction of θ. Draw a line connecting the origin to this point, and this will be the representation of the point in polar coordinates.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in navigation, astronomy, and engineering. They are also used in physics and mathematics to describe circular or symmetrical systems.