Simple question on Ratio of Kinetic to rest energy

In summary, the problem involves finding the ratio of kinetic energy to rest energy of a baseball thrown at 44 m/s, using the equations E=mc^2 and k=1/2mv^2. The solution involves dividing the kinetic energy by the rest energy, and the rest energy is much larger than the kinetic energy.
MillerGenuine

Homework Statement

A pitcher can throw a baseball at 44 m/s. what is the ratio of kinetic energy to the rest energy E=mc^2. (can you use k=1/2mv^2 ?)

Homework Equations

rest energy=mc^2
K=gamma*mc^2 - mc^2
k=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just not sure how to go about this problem. It seems i can use k=1/2mv^2 because the velocity is well below c. From there i would take me kinetic energy and divide it by the rest enregy to get the ratio..??

Physics news on Phys.org
MillerGenuine said:

Homework Statement

A pitcher can throw a baseball at 44 m/s. what is the ratio of kinetic energy to the rest energy E=mc^2. (can you use k=1/2mv^2 ?)

Homework Equations

rest energy=mc^2
K=gamma*mc^2 - mc^2
k=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just not sure how to go about this problem. It seems i can use k=1/2mv^2 because the velocity is well below c. From there i would take me kinetic energy and divide it by the rest enregy to get the ratio..??

Yep. They just want to show how huge the rest energy is...

What is the equation for calculating the ratio of kinetic to rest energy?

The equation for calculating the ratio of kinetic to rest energy is Ek/E0, where Ek represents the kinetic energy and E0 represents the rest energy.

What is the significance of the ratio of kinetic to rest energy?

The ratio of kinetic to rest energy is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between an object's motion and its rest state. It also plays a key role in Einstein's theory of relativity.

How is the ratio of kinetic to rest energy related to mass?

The ratio of kinetic to rest energy is directly related to mass through Einstein's famous equation, E = mc2. This equation shows that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other.

What is the difference between kinetic and rest energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while rest energy is the energy an object possesses when it is at rest. Kinetic energy can be calculated using the object's mass and velocity, while rest energy is a constant value for a given object.

How does the ratio of kinetic to rest energy change for a moving object?

The ratio of kinetic to rest energy will increase as an object's velocity increases. This is due to the fact that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy increases while its rest energy remains constant. This change is also reflected in the object's mass, which increases as its velocity increases.