Simple question or tensor notation

In summary, The conversation discusses a question about writing a term in tensor notation and vector notation. The problem is that the term involves both a vector and a tensor, and the proper way to multiply them is uncertain. The conversation also mentions a transport equation for a scalar variable and the possibility of writing it in tensor notation.
lostidentity
Hi,

I have the following term in tensor notation

[tex] \frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_i}}\frac{\partial{u_i}}{\partial{x_j}}\frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_j}}[/tex]

I'm not sure how to write this in vector notation.

Would it be?

[tex]\nabla{c}\cdot\nabla\boldsymbol{u}\cdot{c}[/tex]

The problem I have is [tex]\nabla\boldsymbol{u}[/tex] is a tensor, whereas [tex]\nabla{c}[/tex] is a vector. Not sure what type of multiplication it would be between a vector and a tensor. Surely not a simple dot product?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This doesn't look like a proper tensor expression to me. If you have a repeated index, it should be repeated on "top" and on "bottom", whereas you have it repeated on the bottom both times here.

Hi,

Sorry I don't think I defined the problem correctly. [tex]c[/tex] is a scalar field and [tex]\vec{u}[/tex] is a vector field.

I checked with a paper and it seems that what I've got for the vector notation is correct. However, I'm having difficulty with the following term

[tex] \frac{\partial^2{c}}{\partial{x_k}\partial{x_i}}\frac{\partial^2{c}}{\partial{x_k}\partial{x_i}}[/tex] -----(2)

At first site I thought this could be the product of two Laplacian of a scalar field, however then I found that the correct form for the Laplacian in index notation is

[tex] \frac{\partial^2{c}}{\partial{x_i}\partial{x_i}}[/tex]

So how would I write the above term (2) in vector notation?

Thanks.

Could [tex] \frac{\partial^2{c}}{\partial{x_k}\partial{x_i}}[/tex] be a second order tensor?

Since [tex] \frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_i}}[/tex] is the gradient of c (i.e. a vector), therefore [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_k}}\left(\frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_i}}\right)[/tex] would be the gradient of a vector field, i.e. a second order tensor?

If I were to write this is in tensor notation would it be

[tex]\nabla(\nabla{c})[/tex]?

Thanks.

lostidentity said:
[tex] \frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_i}}\frac{\partial{u_i}}{\partial{x_j}}\frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_j}}[/tex]

I think nicksauce is right - I don't know how to read this to make it come out as a tensor equation. If we're summing over repeated indices, then some of the indices are in the wrong position. If there's no summation, but it's meant for a particular i j, it's not a tensor equation. Perhaps you could give us the whole problem or tell us the summation convention you're using.

In rectangular components, [tex]\nabla[/tex] is [tex]\partial /\partial x_1 + \partial /\partial x_2 + \partial /\partial x_3[/tex]

but the equations you're writing it looks like you're focussing on one component only - unless there's some kind of implicit summation over indices you've got in mind. Perhaps for now write out the summation explicitly so we know what you've got in mind.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I'm working with a transport equation for a scalar variable N that has the following form (I've ignored a number of terms and constant coefficients as I don't think they are relevant).

[tex]{u_j}\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x_j}} = \frac{\partial^2{c}}{\partial{x_k}\partial{x_i}}\frac{\partial^2{c}}{\partial{x_k}\partial{x_i}} - \frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_i}}\frac{\partial{u_ i}}{\partial{x_j}}\frac{\partial{c}}{\partial{x_j} }[/tex]

So perhaps the summation is done for the j-th component since that's what's on the LHS?

I was wondering if I could write this whole equation in tensor notation rather than in the index notation as above. So far what I've got is something like[tex]\vec{u}\cdot\nabla{N} =[ \nabla(\nabla{c})]^2 - \nabla{c}\cdot\nabla\vec{u}\cdot\nabla{c}[/tex]

What is simple question or tensor notation?

Simple question or tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers. It is a concise way to express complex mathematical equations and is commonly used in physics and engineering.

What are the benefits of using simple question or tensor notation?

Simple question or tensor notation allows for a more compact and efficient representation of mathematical equations, making them easier to read and understand. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of tensors.

How is simple question or tensor notation different from traditional mathematical notation?

Simple question or tensor notation uses subscripts and superscripts to represent indices, while traditional notation often uses commas and parentheses. It also follows certain rules and conventions specific to tensors, such as the Einstein summation convention.

Can simple question or tensor notation be used for any type of tensor?

Yes, simple question or tensor notation can be used for any type of tensor, including scalars, vectors, matrices, and higher order tensors. It is a versatile notation that can be applied to various mathematical and scientific fields.

Are there any limitations to using simple question or tensor notation?

One limitation of simple question or tensor notation is that it may be more difficult for beginners to learn compared to traditional notation. It also may not be suitable for highly complex equations that involve multiple tensors and operations.