Learning Set Theory: Cartesian Product & Ordered Pairs

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
In summary, the product of sets A and B, denoted as A \times B, is a set of ordered pairs (a,b) where a is an element of set A and b is an element of set B. This means that the product contains all possible combinations of elements from A and B. This notation can also be written as A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A \ and \ b \in B\}. It is important to note that the elements in the product are not multiplied, but rather listed in ordered pairs. The parentheses in the notation indicate that each element is a pair. For example, if A represents the results of drawing a card and B represents the results of tossing a coin
sniffer
ehm, sorry, i am a beginner in set theory. learning on my own.
for cartesian product ordered pair, for example
[itex] A = \{a_1, a_{2}, a_{3}\} \\
B = \{b_{1}, b_{2}, b_{3}\} [/itex]

is the product [itex] A \times B = \{a_{1}b{1}, a_{1}b{2}, a_{1}b{3}, a_{2}b{1}, \\
a_{2}b{2}, a_{2}b{3}, a_{3}b{1}, a_{3}b{2}, a_{3}b{3},\} [/itex] ??

What does [itex] A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A and b \in B\} [/itex] mean in detail?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, a bit mistyped the question above.

for cartesian product ordered pair, for example
[itex] A = \{a_1, a_2, a_3\} [/itex] and [itex]B = \{b_1, b_2, b_3\} [/itex]

is the product [itex] A \times B = \{a_{1}b{1}, a_{1}b{2}, a_{1}b{3}, a_{2}b{1}, \\
a_{2}b{2}, a_{2}b{3}, a_{3}b{1}, a_{3}b{2}, a_{3}b{3},\} [/itex] ??

What does [itex] A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A \ and \ b \in B\} [/itex] mean in detail
in terms of individual set member for this simple example?

thanks.

the elements in the product are the pairs (a_i,b_j) for 1<= i,j <=3.

what does a_1b_1 even mean?

the product is all odered pairs (a,b) where a is in A and b is in B. nothing more nothing less.

[itex] a_i [/itex] and [itex] b_i [/itex] are numbers or element such as 1, 6, 8, etc.

i think i may understand your simple answer.

thanks

the product of sets does not involve multiplying the elements; elements of sets do not necessarily even possesses a multiplicationwhat if A were the set of results of drawing a card and B were the set of results of tossing a coin? if a were the three of diamonds and b heads, then what does ab mean?

Notice the parentheses in [itex] A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A \ and \ b \in B\} [/itex]?

What you want is
[itex] A \times B = \{(a_{1},b{1}), (a_{1},b_{2}), (a_{1},b_3}), (a_{2},b_{1}), (a_{2},b_{2}),\\ (a_{2},b_{3}), (a_{3},b_{1}), (a_{3},b_{2}),(a_{3},b_{3}),\}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
yup. now i understand it. thanks guys.

What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It helps us to organize and classify objects into specific groups based on certain properties.

What is Cartesian Product?

Cartesian Product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets to form a new set. It is represented by the symbol "x" and is also known as the cross product or the direct product.

How do you find the Cartesian Product of two sets?

To find the Cartesian Product of two sets, you need to pair each element of the first set with every element of the second set. For example, if set A = {1,2} and set B = {a,b}, then the Cartesian Product of A and B would be {(1,a), (1,b), (2,a), (2,b)}.

What is an Ordered Pair?

An Ordered Pair is a pair of objects in a specific order. It is represented by the notation (a,b), where a is the first element and b is the second element. The order of the elements is important, and (a,b) is not the same as (b,a).

How do you represent an Ordered Pair in Set Theory?

In Set Theory, an Ordered Pair is represented using the set notation {{a},{a,b}}. This means that the set contains two elements, the first being a singleton set containing the first element of the ordered pair, and the second being a set containing both elements of the ordered pair.