Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question, please help

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1
    ehm, sorry, i am a beginner in set theory. learning on my own.
    for cartesian product ordered pair, for example
    [itex] A = \{a_1, a_{2}, a_{3}\} \\
    B = \{b_{1}, b_{2}, b_{3}\} [/itex]

is the product [itex] A \times B = \{a_{1}b{1}, a_{1}b{2}, a_{1}b{3}, a_{2}b{1}, \\
    a_{2}b{2}, a_{2}b{3}, a_{3}b{1}, a_{3}b{2}, a_{3}b{3},\} [/itex] ??

What does [itex] A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A and b \in B\} [/itex] mean in detail?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2005 #2
    sorry, a bit mistyped the question above.

for cartesian product ordered pair, for example
    [itex] A = \{a_1, a_2, a_3\} [/itex] and [itex]B = \{b_1, b_2, b_3\} [/itex]

is the product [itex] A \times B = \{a_{1}b{1}, a_{1}b{2}, a_{1}b{3}, a_{2}b{1}, \\
    a_{2}b{2}, a_{2}b{3}, a_{3}b{1}, a_{3}b{2}, a_{3}b{3},\} [/itex] ??

What does [itex] A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A \ and \ b \in B\} [/itex] mean in detail
    in terms of individual set member for this simple example?

thanks.

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the elements in the product are the pairs (a_i,b_j) for 1<= i,j <=3.

what does a_1b_1 even mean?

the product is all odered pairs (a,b) where a is in A and b is in B. nothing more nothing less.

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4
    [itex] a_i [/itex] and [itex] b_i [/itex] are numbers or element such as 1, 6, 8, etc.

i think i may understand your simple answer.

thanks

6. Jun 26, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the product of sets does not involve multiplying the elements; elements of sets do not necessarily even possess a multiplicationwhat if A were the set of results of drawing a card and B were the set of results of tossing a coin? if a were the three of diamonds and b heads, then what does ab mean?

7. Jun 26, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice the parentheses in [itex] A \times B = \{(a,b)\mid a \in A \ and \ b \in B\} [/itex]?

What you want is
    [itex] A \times B = \{(a_{1},b{1}), (a_{1},b_{2}), (a_{1},b_3}), (a_{2},b_{1}), (a_{2},b_{2}),\\ (a_{2},b_{3}), (a_{3},b_{1}), (a_{3},b_{2}),(a_{3},b_{3}),\}[/itex]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  8. Jun 26, 2005 #7
    yup. now i understand it. thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?