Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question, tangent line

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1

really isnt calculus but thats the name of my class so, anyway im having a problem here. i think its pretty simple im just missing something. im supposed to find the slope of the tangent line using one point and:

slope of tangent line =

find slope of tangent line:

at a=2

common denominator X by (1+h)

make "h" zero and im stuck.....
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2
    Ummm... Is 1/2 the same as (1+h)/(2+h)?
  4. Aug 22, 2006 #3

okay stupid mistake, now im stuck again tho

comes out to

gives me -1/h which doesnt work, darn
  5. Aug 22, 2006 #4
    You need a factor of h in the first denominator for the denominators to be equal.
  6. Aug 22, 2006 #5

i dont understand
  7. Aug 22, 2006 #6
    The denominator of the first term expanded is (4+2h) while the second term's denominator is (4h+2h2)
  8. Aug 22, 2006 #7

but those are different terms, arent i looking for a common denominator?
  9. Aug 22, 2006 #8

Homework Helper

If [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x},[/tex] then

[tex]\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} = \frac{\frac{1}{2+h}-\frac{1}{2}}{h} = \frac{1}{h(2+h)}-\frac{1}{2h} = \frac{2-(2+h)}{2h(2+h)} [/tex]
    [tex]=-\frac{1}{2(2+h)}\rightarrow -\frac{1}{4} \mbox{ as }h\rightarrow 0[/tex]
  10. Aug 22, 2006 #9
    Yes which is why you need to multiply the first term by h/h so that you have a common denominator.
  11. Aug 22, 2006 #10

thanks for the replies, but i dont understand how the c.d is 2h(2+h)
  12. Aug 24, 2006 #11

finally, got it
  13. Aug 24, 2006 #12
    I was wondering one thing about tangent line. Since tangent lines can also be secant line, I actually had a question about secant line. Is it possible for a secant line to intersect 2 consecutive points of a curve? I guess what I am trying to get to is, in a curve, can two, next to each other points be in a straight line?
  14. Aug 24, 2006 #13
    What do you mean by two consecutive points? Between any two points on a curve there are an infinite number of other points so there really isn't such a thing as consecutive points in the way you are probably thinking. But if you mean like 2 points on a curve where say x = 1 and x = 2, then sure you just have to find a function with equal derivatives at those points, I can't think this through completely right now but that's the gist of it.
  15. Aug 24, 2006 #14
    Can you give me an example?
  16. Aug 24, 2006 #15
    Can you give me one of what you mean by consecutive points?
  17. Aug 25, 2006 #16
    Are you referring to something like y=sin(2πx) ?
    It has equal derivatives at x=1 and x=2 (i.e., y'(1)=y'(2)=2π)
  18. Aug 25, 2006 #17
    No not quite, since that gives a nice counterexample to what I was thinking, errr... I guess not what i was thinking but what I wrote since what I was thinking was that if there are two points on a curve, if the derivative at both of these points are equal and the tangent lines at each point have the same y intercept then they must be the same line and the tangent line would be a secant line. With a sine function like the one you mention you'll have the equal derivatives and hence slopes of the tangent lines are the same but the y intercepts are different. But again with that same function consider y=1 this will be tangent to that curve for x=1/4+n where n is an integer, but this probably isn't quite what the original poster was talking about and isn't exactly what i was either. If you still don't get what I mean I'll try and write up a better post and find a good example of this tomorrow.
  19. Aug 25, 2006 #18
    :smile: Perhaps you were thinking of y=cos(2πx) ?
    Where y'(1)=y'(2)=0 and the single line y=1 is tangent to y(x) at x=1 and x=2
    (generally, as y=1 is tangent to y(x) here for all integer 'x')
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  20. Aug 25, 2006 #19
    Well y=1 is tangent to sin(2πx) for all x of the form 1/4+n where n is an integer, isn't it? Because you would have sinn(π/2 + 2πn) which is 1 for every integer n, isn't it? You're example works to, and is better than mine since you don't have to have the 1/4 part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?