1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question: unit vector

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to input a unit vector that lies between X and Y axes, into a Master Physics answering box.

One of the questions I'm working on required a unit vector (to point a direction) to be part of the answer. I know that the direction is between the X and Y axes so I tried using (sqrt0.5,sqrt0.5,0) as my unit vector but that didn't work out. It seems that they want the the unit vector in terms of x_unit, y_unit, z_unit (in mastering physics x_unit = x capped/x with a hat).

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2
    Should I try using x_unit*y_unit as my unit vector?

I know that x_unit, y_unit, z_unit represent unit vectors in x, y, z directions, respectively. I have only 2 more chances left.

Should I try this -k*(q_0)*(q_3)*y_unit*x_unit/(sqrt((d_2)^2+(d_2)^2))^2

(It's a force in an xy-plane.)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  4. Jan 22, 2005 #3
    gah i hate mastering physics, i had to use it for Mechanics last semester :/

Usually its expressing the vector using it's components such as
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  5. Jan 22, 2005 #4
    After searching on the internet, I found that i_unit*j_unit = 0 so the answer in my previous reply is probably wrong. Anyone?
  6. Jan 22, 2005 #5
    So would the unit vector in an xy-planet = ((x_unit)^2+(y_unit)^2))^1/2? = (sqrt0.5, sqrt0.5, 0)?

But wouldn't that "w=((x_unit)^2+(y_unit)^2+(z_unit)^2)^1/2" be a scalar quantity? then isn't it no longer a vector and cannot act as a (unit) direction vector?

Thanks in advance
  7. Jan 23, 2005 #6
    OK, how about if I ask this. I want to write a unit vector that lies 45 deg. from either x/y axis, interm of unit vectors x_unit and y_unit, is it possible to do that?
  8. Jan 23, 2005 #7
    I figured it out, thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?