Solving Two Hours of Christmas Arguing: PE on a Cliff and Ramp?

• Thread starter jimprince
  • Start date
In summary, there is a disagreement over whether a man standing on the edge of a plateau overlooking a 1000' cliff has the same potential energy as a man of the same mass at the same elevation on the plateau but 2 miles from the cliff. The same question arises for an object on the edge of a ramp inside an immovable box. The potential energy would remain the same unless the box has its own gravitational field. However, irrelevant factors being added to the scenario may make it difficult to resolve the dispute.
jimprince
Simple Question??

Here is a question I argued with my family for over two hours Christmas evening...
If a man is standing on the edge of a plateau overlooking a 1000' cliff, does he have the SAME potential energy of a man of the same mass at the same elevation on the plateau but 2 miles from the cliff?
Now, what if you put an object on the edge of a ramp, does it have the same PE as an object of the same mass on the edge of the ramp but inside of an immovable box? Would the box change the PE?
We have an "airline ticket to Florida" wager on this argument so any details would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
PS: Our reference point is the bottom of the cliff.

Near the Earth's surface, the gravitational PE is just mgh: it just depends on the height with respect to some arbitrary reference point. So, ignoring any trivial differences in g from place to place, if two equal masses have the same height then they have the same PE.
jimprince said:
If a man is standing on the edge of a plateau overlooking a 1000' cliff, does he have the SAME potential energy of a man of the same mass at the same elevation on the plateau but 2 miles from the cliff?
Sure, why not?
Now, what if you put an object on the edge of a ramp, does it have the same PE as an object of the same mass on the edge of the ramp but inside of an immovable box? Would the box change the PE?
Makes no difference.

If the box is assumed to be massless (or at least of negligible mass), then there would be no change in PE. Otherwise, the box could be contrived to have its own, non-negligible gravitational field, in which case the potential energy of the object on the ramp would change.

Barring such an odd situation, there would be no change in the PE of the box.

You shouldn't add more than the strictly needed factors. At least not when they hardly makes a difference.

I predict that you will not be able to resolve the dispute due to an inability to agree on how irrelevant factors being added to the scenario confuse and change the actual scenario.

1. How can I solve the issue of arguing during Christmas PE on a cliff and ramp?

Solving this issue requires effective communication and problem-solving skills. It is important to have a calm and open discussion with all parties involved, listen to their perspectives, and find a compromise that works for everyone. It may also be helpful to establish clear rules and boundaries for the activity beforehand.

2. What are some strategies for preventing arguments during Christmas PE on a cliff and ramp?

One strategy is to assign specific roles to each person, such as leader, recorder, and timekeeper, to ensure everyone has a designated responsibility and can contribute to the activity in a positive way. Additionally, setting clear expectations and goals for the activity can help minimize conflicts.

3. How can I handle disagreements between participants during Christmas PE on a cliff and ramp?

If disagreements arise, it is important to address them calmly and respectfully. Encourage active listening and try to find a compromise that satisfies both parties. If necessary, take a break and revisit the issue later when everyone is calmer.

4. What can I do if someone is not following the rules during Christmas PE on a cliff and ramp?

In this situation, it is important to remind the person of the rules and the consequences of not following them. If the behavior continues, involve a neutral party, such as another participant or a supervisor, to help mediate the situation.

5. Should I intervene if I see someone struggling during Christmas PE on a cliff and ramp?

It is important to prioritize safety and well-being in any activity. If you notice someone struggling, it is important to offer assistance or seek help from a supervisor. Everyone should feel comfortable and supported during the activity.