Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question

  1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    Hello all,
    unfortunately I'm seeking help because I cant remember the name of a greek symbol from multivariable/vector calculus. [tex]\delta[/tex] i think this is the correct one. it looks like a d with the tail cut off, and is used for denoting a specific differentiation of a variable amongst multiple variables. thank you very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    I think you want [tex]\partial[/tex]
  4. Aug 30, 2009 #3
    It's TeX code is \partial, and I've seen it called "curly-d" but I believe it is the italic lower-case "dey" from the Cyrillic alphabet.

  5. Aug 30, 2009 #4
    i thought it was something along the lines of nabla
  6. Aug 30, 2009 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Nabla is this: [itex]\nabla[/itex]
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook