Calculating Volume & Weight of Aluminum & Carbon Nanotubes

• Thread starter Kmenex
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the correct volume percentage of carbon nanotubes and aluminum to achieve a bulk density of 1.5g/cm^3. The conversation suggests listing all relevant data and using a linear equation to solve for the volume of carbon nanotubes needed.
Kmenex
I am trying to do a simple calculation to figure out how much of a certain material must be added to another to produce a specific volume and weight.

Sadly, such a simple problem i cannot figure out! Naturally i thought i would ask.

In essence i wanted to know how much single walled carbon nanotubes need to placed into a pure aluminum structure to produce a bulk density of 1.5g/cm^3, where the density of aluminum is 2.7g/cm^3 and the single wall nanotubes are .15g/cm^3. The volume must be 31.4cm^3, and i had done a rough calculation for a theoretical nanotube which was 2nm in diameter and 10cm in length and found it to be 3.14 *10^-13 cm^3 per tube.

Thus, we get close to the needed density when we split the volumes in half (half aluminum, half carbon nanotube). Regardless of the possibility of such a structure i am left speechless in that i cannot figure out how to do this simple calculation to determine what volume % of each is needed to get 47grams, or a density of 1.5g/cm^3

Would anyone mind jumpstarting my brain really quick?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have difficulties to follow what has to be done, especially what the carbon nanotubes are meant to do. I would list all data you have, not in text, but in a list: material, density, mass, volume, container, volume. And do not forget the units. Then say what you want: a specific target density, mass or volume. Or just fill an Al cylinder with carbon? Your problem is a bit lost within your essay above: "split volume", "single walled" etc. are unexplained. Furthermore, does the density of the nanotubes differ from the density if packed in a container, i.e. do they behave like a fluid? Another general idea is: if in doubt, draw it out!

Let x be the volume of carbon nanotubes, then the total mass is (31.4cm^3 - x)*2.7g/cm^3 + x*.15g/cm^3. Set that equal to the total volume multiplied with the target density and solve for x, it is a linear equation.

Divide by the volume of one carbon nanotube to get the number of nanotubes.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of aluminum and carbon nanotubes?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder, which can be used for both aluminum and carbon nanotubes, is V = πr2h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do I determine the weight of aluminum and carbon nanotubes?

The weight of a material can be calculated by multiplying its volume by its density. The density of aluminum is 2.7 g/cm3, while the density of carbon nanotubes can vary depending on their structure. It is important to research and use the correct density value for the specific type of carbon nanotubes being studied.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating the volume of irregularly shaped aluminum and carbon nanotubes?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder only applies to objects with a circular cross-section. For irregularly shaped aluminum and carbon nanotubes, more complex mathematical equations or computer simulations may be necessary to accurately calculate their volume.

4. How does temperature affect the volume and weight of aluminum and carbon nanotubes?

Temperature can affect the volume and weight of aluminum and carbon nanotubes due to thermal expansion. As the temperature increases, the volume of these materials will also increase, resulting in a slight increase in weight. However, this effect is typically very small and may not be noticeable in most cases.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling aluminum and carbon nanotubes for volume and weight calculations?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling aluminum and carbon nanotubes, as they are considered potentially hazardous materials. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any unused materials. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by your institution or governing body.