1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question

1. Oct 7, 2004 #1
    What does it mean if an equation is linear?

Like what is a linear differential equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2004 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A linear equation is a straight line where m is defined. (m is the slope)

It is in the form y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

This second part is a guess.

A linear differential equation I "THINK" is a polynomial to the second degree.

I think this because the derivative of:
    [tex]y=Nx^2+Mx+W[/tex]
    is
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2Nx+M[/tex]

...which is linear.

2N is the slope of the derivative and M is the y-intercept.

4. Oct 8, 2004 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No.

Remember that a differential equation is an equation that contains a function y and one or more of its derivatives. The equation need only be linear in y, but not necessarily in the independent variable (x). The general form of a linear first-order differential equation is:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} + p(x)y = g(x) [/tex]

Where [itex] p(x) \ \ \text{and} \ \ g(x) [/itex] are functions of x. So if I write:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} + (\cos{x})y = e^x [/tex]

I guarantee you that the solution is not a second-degree polynomial in x! I seem to remember there being a great tutorial thread on D.E.'s in that subforum.

Jason, I guess you can think of the equation you wrote as the simplest case of a linear first order d.e., in which p(x) = 0. So we're left with:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = g(x) [/tex]

The solution can be found simply by integrating in this case. Not so simple with the previous example.

5. Oct 8, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial point about a "linear differential equation", indeed about "linear" problems in general, is that we can combine two solutions to make a third solution.

If y1 and y2 both satisfy the equation a(x)y"+ b(x)y'+ c(x)y= 0 then any "linear combination" of them, py1+ qy2, where p and q are numbers, does also:
    a(x)(py1+ qy2)"+ b(x)(py1+ qy2)'+ c(x)(py1+ qy2)=
    a(x)py1"+ a(x)qy2"+b(x)py1'+ b(x)qy2'+ c(x)py1+ c(x)qy2[/sub=

p(a(x)y1"+ b(x)y1'+ c(x)y1)+ q(a(x)y2"+ b(x)y2'+ c(x)y2=

p(0)+ q(0)= 0.

Similarly, if f(x)= ax, then f(nx+my)= a(nx+my)= n(ax)+ m(ay)= nf(x)+ mf(y).

If, however, f(x)= x2, then f(x+y)= (x+ y)2= x2+ 2xy+ y2. The fact that f is NOT linear means that that term 2xy in which the two solutions x and y "interfere" with one another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook