Simple questions about complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to a polynomial using given complex numbers, finding the modulus and argument of a complex number, and determining the number c for which g(x) is a tangent to f(x). The first problem can be solved by plugging in the solutions, while the second problem involves taking the square root of a given expression and considering all possible values. For the third problem, it is necessary to set the gradient of g(x) equal to the derivative of f(x) at a point x_0, and the book provides a helpful resource for understanding this concept.
Niles

Homework Statement

1) If I know that z_1 = (2+i) and z_2 = (2-i) are solutions to a polynomial, how do I find it? (I have six to chose between, it's a multiple choice). Do I just insert and see of it equals zero?

2) When I know that z^2 has modulus 4 and argument pi/2, how do I find modulus and argument for z?

3) If I know a polynomial (real numbers, not complex!) f(x) = 2x^2 and g(x) = cx, how do I find the number c, so g(x) is a tangent to the polynomial?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I would just insert solutions.

2) I do not know how to approach this problem.

3) First, g(x) = f(x), and the gradient of g(x) must equal f'(x) in the point x_0?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Quite correct, although there might be additional clues in the actual polynomials given that makes the determination process easier.

2. You have:
[tex]z^{2}=4e^{i\pi(\frac{1}{2}+2n)}, n\in{Z}[/tex]
Take the square root of this and see how many z's fits the expression.

3) I don't get your argument f(x)=g(x)?

1) Cool, thanks.

2) So modulus and argument for z is: mod = 2 and argument = pi/4?:

w_0 = 4^(1/2)*e^i*(pi/2)/2)

I don't have to find w_1, eh?

3) Nevermind, a silly question. I just had to read a section in my book.

There is another argument to consider for 2)...

pi/4 + 2kpi?

Niles said:
pi/4 + 2kpi?

Nope... that's the same angle. :wink: But you're close.

D'oh :-)

I hate to guess, but is it something like pi/4 +(2pi/n)*k = pi/4 + pi?

Niles said:
D'oh :-)

I hate to guess, but is it something like pi/4 +(2pi/n)*k = pi/4 + pi?

You got the right answer... but I'm kind of unsure about your left-handside formula... I'd do it like this using arildno's idea... you know that [tex]2\theta = \pi/2 + 2n\pi[/tex] then dividing by 2, [tex]\theta = \pi/4 + n\pi[/tex]... you only need to consider n = 0 and n = 1... which give [tex]\pi/4[/tex] and [tex]5\pi/4[/tex]... all the other n's repeat the same angles.

Great, thanks!

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How are complex numbers used in science?

Complex numbers are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and solving problems involving electric circuits, waves, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be expressed on the number line, such as 2, -5, or 0. Imaginary numbers are numbers that involve the square root of a negative number, such as √-1. Complex numbers combine both real and imaginary numbers.

4. How are complex numbers represented graphically?

Complex numbers are represented graphically on the complex plane, which is similar to the traditional Cartesian plane. The x-axis represents the real part and the y-axis represents the imaginary part.

5. What are some common operations with complex numbers?

Some common operations with complex numbers include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Complex numbers can also be raised to a power, have their absolute value calculated, and be converted between polar and rectangular forms.