1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Quiz Program

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    Hey guys

A lot of my classes this semester (parastiology, cell biology, ecology) are a lot of definitions that I need to have nailed down solid.

I'm looking for a little definitions quiz program that I can use, I'd like to be able to enter the word and definition and have it ask my either the word or definition and I'd have to answer it. I don't have to be able to type it in, just show it to me then I hit a button and it tells me the answer (I'll know if I'm right or not, I dont need the program to tell me).

If I cant' find something, I'd like to write a simple one in Delphi on WinXP. What type of data type would you think I should do this in?

Should I do a big array of like [1..255] or something of Strings? I could put the definitions and words in a txtfile and have each separated by a <newline> (#10#14).

I took a Java class a few years ago and we learned about vectors which were like dynamic datatypes and you could define them as you needed them instead of making arrays. I don't know what the equivelant is in Delphi (I'm so far out of the programming loop it's not funny). Is there a better datatype than just an array, in delphi?

Anyways.. I just need to learn my junk :)

Thank you!
    Aychamo

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2
    Hi
    I dont know anything about Delphi,but in c++/VB/c#/Java etc (i think in all programming languages )you neednt keep the answers as strings.
    Just write everything int a file in a suitable format like

$Defn1
    blah blah blah blah blah bla....

$Defn2
    blah blah blah blah blah bla....

Then just read the suitable Defn and answers

Pseudocode:

Read text file till $ is reached
    Display everything till newline as question
    Display everything until next $ as answer

This can be implemented as a loop easily

For input program replace Disply by Input,etc..

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3
    Delphi has a TStringList type, which stores a list of strings, but also has methods for dealing with strings of the form

name=value

The TValueListEditor component stores its values in a StringList, and so looks like what you need

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?