What is the Simple Explanation for Radians and Trigonometric Functions?

In summary: For 30 degrees= \pi/6, use a right triangle with legs of length 1 and the hypotenuse of length \sqrt{3}.
somebodyelse5
Im currently in Calc II and am finding myself totally lost when it comes to solving things like sin(pi/3) and trig of that nature. I am very reliant on my calculator and am extremely fond of degrees, but I NEED to be able to find the definite integral of cos(x) from 0 to (pi/3) and problems that are similar. I was hoping that someone could help explain how this works. Its something I really should know how to do, but I don't know where else to go to learn.

Thanks in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general you will get more useful answers if you ask a specific question.

Can you narrow it down a bit? Just what is that you are having trouble with?

Integral said:
In general you will get more useful answers if you ask a specific question.

Can you narrow it down a bit? Just what is that you are having trouble with?

Sorry about that. Basically I have absolutely no idea how to evaluate an expression like sin(pi/3) without using my calculator. Would someone be able to explain to me how to do this?

I know that the answer is sqrt(3)/2 but I do not know how to do this without using my calculator.

somebodyelse5 said:
Thanks! For the unit circle, the points (x,y)

does x correspond with cos and y correspond with sin? How does that part work?

Yes, that's right. Wikipedia can probably explain it better than I can for now (it's getting late here)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions

Yes. Basically, it's SOH CAH TOA, in which case H, the hypotenuse, is 1 for unit circles. This makes sin(theta) dependent on the y value, cos(theta) dependent on the x value, and etc. I'm a bit curious why you've haven't learned this before calc.

There's very little you need to do when thinking about these things luckily.

pi/3 is the same as 180°/3 = 60°.

I find it immensely easier to think in this way, so sin(60°)= (√3/2)

The reason I know this is from using SOH, CAH, TOA on the famous 30°, 60° & 90° triangles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwet4cIpnCM&feature=PlayList&p=26812DF9846578C3&playnext_from=PL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_right_triangles

[tex] \int_{0}^{ \frac{ \pi }{3}} cos(x)\,dx \ = \ sin( \frac{\pi}{3}) \ - \ sin(0) \ = \ \frac{ \sqrt{3} }{2} [/tex]

Try doing it this way until you intuitively get that pi/3 = 60°, pi/4 = 45° etc... and don't be afraid to draw and redraw the 30°, 60°, 90° triangles in a margin so that you don't have to memorize everything, you can recall all of them with no hassle this way.

To find [itex]sin(30)= sin(\pi/6)[/itex] or [itex]sin(60)= sin(\pi/3)[/itex] and the cosines, think of an equilateral triangle. If you drop a perpendicular from one vertex to the opposite side, it bisects that opposite side. Now you have two right triangles with angles of 30 degrees= [itex]\pi/6[/itex] radians and 60 degrees= [itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians. If each side of the equilateral triangle, and the hypotenuse of each right triangle, was 1, the side opposite the 30 degree angle has length 1/2 and, by the Pythagorean theorem, the side opposite the 60 degree angle is [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. Now, you can calculate all trig functions from the definitions.

For 45 degrees= [itex]\pi/4[/itex], use an isosceles right triangle with legs of length 1. The hypotenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

1. What are radians?

Radians are a unit of measurement for angles, just like degrees. However, instead of dividing a circle into 360 equal parts like degrees, radians divide a circle into 2π (approximately 6.28) equal parts.

2. Why do we use radians?

Radians are often used in mathematical calculations because they are a more natural and convenient unit for working with circles and angles. They also have a simpler relationship with the trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. How do you convert radians to degrees?

To convert from radians to degrees, you can use the formula: degrees = radians * (180/π). This means that to convert from radians to degrees, you multiply the value in radians by 180 divided by π (approximately 57.3).

4. How do you measure angles in radians?

To measure an angle in radians, you can use a protractor just like you would with degrees. However, instead of marking the angle in degrees, you would mark it in radians using the scale on the protractor that corresponds to radians.

5. Are radians used in real-world applications?

Yes, radians are used in many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are often used to measure rotational motion and angles in circular and curved objects.