How to Select a Simple Random Sample of Employees Using a List of Numbers?

• Thread starter Larrytsai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, David C. White owns a small advertising business with twelve employees: Becker, Brown, Chasten, Ito, Kim, Spitzer, Taylor, Walt, Wang, Zhang, Zhao, and Zhu. To select a simple random sample of three names, the numerical labels attached to the names are used with the list of random digits provided: Zhao, Becker, and Kim were selected using the first three numbers in the list. To choose the names, the normalized random number is multiplied by the number of entries and then the floor function is applied to get the index of the entry. This ensures a uniform distribution is approximated for the selection process.
Larrytsai
David C. White owns a small advertising business. He has twelve employees. The names
of the employees are given below.

1. Becker
2. Brown
3. Chasten
4. Ito
5. Kim
6. Spitzer
7. Taylor
8. Walt
9. Wang
10. Zhang
11. Zhao
12. Zhu

Use the list of random digits below to select a simple random sample of three names from
the list of employees. Start at the beginning of the list and use the numerical labels
attached to the names.

11920 14931 20051 27498 12009 45287 71753 31137 20495 05907

the answer is Zhao, Becker, Kim

I don't know where to start, I do not understand what the list of numbers represent? Anyone mind guiding me through this problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Larrytsai said:
David C. White owns a small advertising business. He has twelve employees. The names
of the employees are given below.

1. Becker
2. Brown
3. Chasten
4. Ito
5. Kim
6. Spitzer
7. Taylor
8. Walt
9. Wang
10. Zhang
11. Zhao
12. Zhu

Use the list of random digits below to select a simple random sample of three names from
the list of employees. Start at the beginning of the list and use the numerical labels
attached to the names.

11920 14931 20051 27498 12009 45287 71753 31137 20495 05907

the answer is Zhao, Becker, Kim

I don't know where to start, I do not understand what the list of numbers represent? Anyone mind guiding me through this problem?

Thanks

Hey Larrytsai.

If your table values are between 00000 and 99999 then each value represents a random number between those values. In terms of a uniform distribution your first number would correspond to 11920/10000 = 0.1192.

Now if you want to choose a data entry you have multiply this normalized number by the number of entries you can select from. Then you floor the answer and add one to get the index of the entry. For this example 0.1192 x 12 = 1.4304 so our index is Floor(1.4304) + 1 = 2 which corresponds to the 2nd name.

All this is doing is you get a distribution that approximates a uniform distribution and then you have to make sure your random number is between 0 and 1 and then you basically allocate each block of your distribution to an index. For example for 10 data items (0-0.999999 etc) is allocated to data 1, (0.1,0.1999999etc) allocated to data 2 and so on. and this is why we use the floor function.

thank you so much!

What is a "Simple Random Sample"?

A simple random sample is a subset of a larger population that is selected randomly, meaning that every element in the population has an equal chance of being included in the sample.

Why is a "Simple Random Sample" important in scientific research?

A simple random sample is important because it allows for the generalization of findings from the sample to the larger population. This helps to ensure that the results of the study accurately represent the entire population.

How do you select a "Simple Random Sample"?

To select a simple random sample, you must first define the population and then use a random number generator or a table of random numbers to select the sample. Each member of the population should have an equal chance of being selected.

What are the advantages of using a "Simple Random Sample"?

The main advantage of using a simple random sample is that it is unbiased, meaning that every member of the population has an equal chance of being selected for the sample. This helps to reduce bias in the results and allows for the generalization of findings to the larger population.

What are the limitations of using a "Simple Random Sample"?

One limitation of using a simple random sample is that it may not be representative of the entire population if the sample size is too small. Additionally, it may be difficult to obtain a truly random sample, which can introduce bias into the results.