1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple reduction formula

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    Given that [tex] I_{m,n}=\int_0^1x^m(1-x)^ndx [/tex] prove that [tex] I_{m,n} = \frac{n}{m+n+1}I_{m,n-1} [/tex] and evaluate [tex] I_{4,4} [/tex]

I set the integral up as follows: [tex]\int_0^1(x^m(1-x))(1-x)^{n-1}dx \\[/tex]
    [tex]= \int_0^1 x^m(1-x)^{n-1}dx - \int_0^1 x^{m+1}(1-x)^{n-1}dx\\[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{m}{m-n+1}I_{m-1,n} \\ [/tex] which is not what is requested, I would welcome help on how to get [tex] I_{m,n-1} [/tex]. Thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to have [itex]I_{m,n} = I_{m,n-1} - I_{m+1,n-1}[/itex].

But if what you posted afterwards is correct, you can transform [itex]I_{m+1,n-1}[/itex] into [itex]\frac{(m+1)}{(m+1)-(n-1)+1} I_{m,n-1}[/itex] and you should be done
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  4. Apr 26, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far you've got I(m,n)=I(m,n-1)-I(m+1,n-1) which is a good start. I don't know how you turned that into what you finally presented. What I did was get a second relation between the I's using integration by parts and use that to eliminate the I(m+1,n-1). DId you do something like that?
  5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    I integrated a second time to get [tex]I_{m,n}= -\frac{m}{n}I_{m-1,n} + \frac{m+1}{n}I_{m,n}[/tex], I may have made a simple error or two, I will have to redo it.
  6. Apr 26, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How can you 'integrate a second time'?? I don't think what you are doing is very kosher. Try something more like this. If f(x)=x^m*(1-x)^n then do integration by parts like this: integral(f(x)*dx)=-integral(x*d(f(x)))=-integral(x*f'(x)*dx). Notice I could ignore the boundary terms since f(0)=0 and f(1)=0.
  7. Apr 26, 2007 #6
    I'll do what you said do. Thanks for the help.
  8. Apr 27, 2007 #7
    Yesterday I got the following: [tex] I_{m,n} = I_{m,n-1} - I_{m+1,n-1} [/tex]...(i); then I was wondering what to do next. According to you What I needed to do next; was to get a second relation between the I's. So I try the following (integrating by parts):
    [tex] I_{m+1,n-1} = \int x^{m+1}(1-x)^{n-1}dx \\ [/tex]
    [tex] = \int(x^{m+1}(1-x))(1-x)^{n-2} dx \\ [/tex]
    [tex] = -\frac{m+1}{n-1} \int x^m(1-x)^{n-1} dx \\[/tex]
    [tex]+ \frac{m+2}{n-1} \int x^{m+1}(1-x)^{n-1} dx \\ [/tex]
    Therefore I get: [tex] I_{m+1,n-1}(n-m-3) = -(m+1)I_{m,n-1} \\[/tex]. Substituting into equation ...(i)
    [tex] I_{m,n}=I_{m,n-1}(\frac{-n+2}{m-n+3})[/tex]
  9. Apr 27, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't really do what I said. I don't know what you did. Do you agree with me that I(m,n)=integral(f(x)*dx)=-integral(x*f'(x)*dx)? Do you see how the integration by parts works? Then just carefully write out -integral(x*f'(x)*dx) and work out what it is in terms of I's. PS you don't really 'integrate' anything. Just rearrange the parts.
  10. Apr 27, 2007 #9
    Yes I agree with you about I(m,n)=integral(f(x)*dx)=-integral(x*f'(x)dx)
  11. Apr 27, 2007 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what is the RHS? Just differentiate x^m*(1-x)^n and multiply by x. I get two terms. One looks like I(m,n) and the other like I(m+1,n-1). What are the coefficients?
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?