1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple relative motion

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two ships, one moving 15 degree west of north with a speed 25 mi/h., the second moving 25 degree south of west with a speed 20 mi/h. relative to water pass each other. Find the velocity of the second ship relative to the first ship (magnitude and direction).

2. Relevant equations

V1 + r = V2
    V2 - V1 = r

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to confirm on this.

My approach is using this relation.
    V1 + r = V2
    and so V2 - V1 = r, where r is the velocity we are looking for of our problem.

Then I will take components, x and y, and find sqrt(x^2+y^2) and direction tan-1 y/x

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jwxie! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Yes, that's exactly right! :smile:

(btw, I wouldn't use r, I'd stick to the same area of the alphabet, and use v12 or u or w :wink:)

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Hi, tiny, thank you for your confirmation. My friend had an exam and he doubted about my explanation. Thank you!

I will make sure I check all the synatx ^^

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook