Understanding Relative Motion in a Constantly Moving Plane

• Thread starter say_physics04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the person was frustrated with their professor after being asked a question in front of the class about being in a plane and walking back and forth. The person initially thought they were at rest, but their professor explained that they were in motion relative to the whole plane. The person wanted clarification and an explanation for this concept. The professor used the example of walking to the toilet on a plane to illustrate the concept. The person was initially confused but now understands.
say_physics04
sorry for this question but I'm just so irritated at my professor...

He asked me in front of class this:
I'm in a plane moving at constant velocity. I am walking back and forth inside the plane. Am I moving relative to the whole plane or not?

I answered I'm at rest. HE told me that I'm in motion relative to the whole plane. I just want to make sure... and to know why...

thx...

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you're moving with respect to the plane-- why would you think you were stationary? Suppose you were on the plane, sat down at your seat, and wanted to go to the toilet. To do this you stand up and walk down the aisle. Now, if you weren't moving relative to the plane, then you wouldn't be able to get to the toilet would you?

thx... i was just confused

1. What is the concept of simple relativeness of motion?

Simple relativeness of motion is the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the observed motion of an object will be the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does this concept relate to Newton's first law of motion?

This concept is essentially an extension of Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia. It states that an object will remain in a state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, the concept of simple relativeness of motion suggests that an object's motion is relative to the observer and not an absolute state.

3. Can you give an example of simple relativeness of motion?

One example is a person sitting on a train that is moving at a constant speed. To the person on the train, the objects inside the train appear to be stationary. However, to an observer outside the train, the objects inside the train appear to be moving at the same speed as the train.

4. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to simple relativeness of motion?

Einstein's theory of relativity builds upon the concept of simple relativeness of motion by including the effects of gravity and non-uniform motion. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in any state of motion, whether it is uniform or accelerated. This theory revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

5. Is the concept of simple relativeness of motion applicable to all laws of physics?

Yes, the concept of simple relativeness of motion is applicable to all laws of physics, including those of classical mechanics and modern physics. It is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion and the nature of space and time.