Simple Resistance Problem help

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the problem involves finding the resistance of a wire that has been stretched to seven times its original length without changing its volume. The equation used is R = Ch in V / I, and the initial resistance of the wire is 0.008 W. After considering the concept of power and how it relates to resistance, it is determined that the resistance of the wire will be 49 times bigger than its original value.
BuBbLeS01
Simple Resistance Problem...help!

Homework Statement

A wire has a resistance of 0.008 W. What will the wire's resistance be if it is stretched to seven times its original length without changing the volume of the wire? (Give answer in W.)

Homework Equations

R = Ch in V / I

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would just multiply 0.008 by 7? But that's not right...I know this must be so easy but for some reason I am stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone know how to do this?

how resistance can be measured in watts instead omms? Maybe power which going through wire is 0.008 W and if wire will be 7 times longer then power will be 7 times smaller or resistance will be 7 times bigger. But possible that resistance will be 7*7=49 times bigger becouse, if you would have 7 times longer wire it would have 7 times bigger resistance, but becouse wire is also 7 thiner, then at all resistance will be 49 times bigger.

Related to Simple Resistance Problem help

1. What is a simple resistance problem?

A simple resistance problem involves calculating the amount of resistance in an electrical circuit. It typically involves using Ohm's law (V=IR) to determine the resistance based on the voltage and current in the circuit.

2. How do I solve a simple resistance problem?

To solve a simple resistance problem, you will need to know the values of voltage and current in the circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the resistance by dividing the voltage by the current.

3. What units are used to measure resistance?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω), which is the unit of electrical resistance. Other common units used to measure resistance include kilohms (kΩ) and megohms (MΩ).

4. What factors affect resistance in a circuit?

The main factors that affect resistance in a circuit are the material of the conductor, the length of the conductor, and the cross-sectional area of the conductor. Temperature can also have an impact on resistance.

5. Can resistance ever be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative. It is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electrical current, and by definition, cannot be negative.