Series Resistor Problem: Finding the Equivalent Resistance

• Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation was about solving for the equivalent resistance in a circuit with two resistors in series and one in parallel. The solution involves using the equation 1/req= 1/R + 1/R = 1/2R to find the equivalent resistance of the series resistors, and then adding it to the resistance of the parallel resistor to get the final answer.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

2h4lrh1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was I knew that the their are two resistors in series

1/req= 1/R + 1/R = 1/2R

req= 2R

Where I get confused is how do I include the other resistor since I believe that it is in series?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two resistors on the left are in parallel , that is the current splits up through the two branches before going through the last one.

Wow my addition was off... I figured it out, it is supposed to be 2/R and since like you said it splits up the total resistance would be req=R/2

R/2 +R = 3R/2

Got it.

In this problem, we are trying to find the equivalent resistance (req) of a series circuit with two resistors. To solve this, we can use the formula 1/req = 1/R1 + 1/R2, where R1 and R2 are the individual resistances. Based on the given information, we know that R1 = R and R2 = R, as both resistors are in series. Substituting these values into the formula, we get 1/req = 1/R + 1/R = 2/R. To find the equivalent resistance, we can take the reciprocal of both sides, giving us req = R/2. This means that the equivalent resistance is half of the individual resistance. We can also see that this is the same result as what you calculated, which is req = 2R. This shows that both methods are correct and can be used to solve series resistor problems.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that restricts the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is commonly used to control the amount of current, voltage, or power in a circuit.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be expressed as: R = V/I. The unit of resistance is Ohms (Ω).

3. What factors affect the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Generally, resistors made of materials with higher resistance, longer length, and smaller cross-sectional area will have a higher resistance.

4. How do I connect a resistor in a circuit?

Resistors can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and the total resistance is the sum of each individual resistor. In parallel, the resistors are connected side-by-side, and the total resistance is calculated using the formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

5. What are common applications of resistors?

Resistors have many applications in electronics, including voltage regulation, current limiting, signal conditioning, and temperature sensing. They are also commonly used in circuits for LEDs, transistors, and integrated circuits.