Maximizing Rocket Height at 1km Altitude: Solving for Acceleration and Time

In summary, the problem involves a rocket with an acceleration of 12m/s^2 and a maximum height of 1km, where the motor shuts off. Using the equations V^2=V_i+2a(x_f-X_i) and x_f=x_i+V_i(t)+1/2at^2, the maximum height is calculated to be 2214.82 meters. There may be some frictional forces from the air, but they are typically ignored in this type of problem.
fisselt
I know I've done this problem a few times before but I'm just a fumbling idiot at the moment..

Homework Statement

Rocket has an acceleration of 12m/s^2 and at an altitude of 1km the motor shuts off. What is the maximum height?

Homework Equations

V^2=V_i+2a(x_f-X_i)
x_f=x_i+V_i(t)+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

V^2=0+2(12)(1000)=154.92m/s
0=154.92t-9.8t^2, t=17.213s
x_f=1000+154.95(17.213)-1/2(9.8)(17.213)^2=2214.82meters

I feel like I'm doing it wrong. 12m/s^2 is the acceleration of the motor, shouldn't their be some force from gravity on the rocket while going towards 1000m?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
fisselt said:
I know I've done this problem a few times before but I'm just a fumbling idiot at the moment..

Homework Statement

Rocket has an acceleration of 12m/s^2 and at an altitude of 1km the motor shuts off. What is the maximum height?

Homework Equations

V^2=V_i+2a(x_f-X_i)
x_f=x_i+V_i(t)+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

V^2=0+2(12)(1000)=154.92m/s
0=154.92t-9.8t^2, t=17.213s
x_f=1000+154.95(17.213)-1/2(9.8)(17.213)^2=2214.82meters

I feel like I'm doing it wrong. 12m/s^2 is the acceleration of the motor, shouldn't their be some force from gravity on the rocket while going towards 1000m?

Thanks for the help.

The acceleration of the motor/rocket combination is the change noticed under the combined influence of the force of gravity, and the thrust force of the rocket motor, and presumably any frictional forces from the air. You are probably supposed to ignore the air resistance - a common approximation used with this sort of problem.

thanks for the help

1. What is a "Simple Rocket Problem"?

A "Simple Rocket Problem" is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion or trajectory of a rocket in a simplified scenario. This commonly includes assumptions such as a constant gravitational field, no air resistance, and a constant thrust force from the rocket.

2. What are the key equations used in solving a Simple Rocket Problem?

The key equations used in solving a Simple Rocket Problem are Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and the kinematic equations, which describe the motion of an object in terms of its initial position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How do you approach solving a Simple Rocket Problem?

To solve a Simple Rocket Problem, you should first clearly define the problem and identify any given variables. Then, use the key equations to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown variable(s). It is also important to pay attention to units and use appropriate conversions if necessary.

4. What are some common challenges when solving Simple Rocket Problems?

Some common challenges when solving Simple Rocket Problems include correctly identifying and setting up the equations, dealing with multiple variables and units, and understanding the assumptions made in the simplified scenario. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and rounding in the final answer.

5. How can solving Simple Rocket Problems be useful in real life?

Solving Simple Rocket Problems can be useful in real life for understanding the basic principles of rocket motion and trajectory, as well as for designing and predicting the performance of rockets and other spacecraft. It is also a good way to practice problem-solving skills and applying mathematical concepts to real-world situations.