Why is q=0 for Simple Roots in Lie Algebras?

In summary, if α and β are simple roots, then the difference α-β is not a root. This leads to the formula E-α|Eβ⟩ = 0, where Eα is a ladder operator that acts on a state of some weight μ and adds to it to give something proportional to μ+α. When q=0 in the formula (2α⋅μ)/(α2)=-(p-q), where μ is a weight and p and q are integers, it means that this is the lowest state.
spookyfish
If [itex]\alpha [/itex] and [itex]\beta [/itex] are simple roots, then [itex]\alpha-\beta [/itex] is not. This means that
[tex]
E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|E_{\vec{\beta}}\rangle = 0
[/tex]
Now, according to the text I read, this means that [itex]q [/itex] in the formula
[tex]
\frac{2\vec{\alpha}\cdot \vec{\mu}}{\vec{\alpha}^2}=-(p-q)
[/tex]
is zero, where [itex]\vec{\mu} [/itex] is a weight, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q [/itex] are integers. I couldn't understand why [itex]q=0 [/itex], if someone could explain to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

spookyfish said:
If [itex]\alpha [/itex] and [itex]\beta [/itex] are simple roots, then [itex]\alpha-\beta [/itex] is not. This means that
[tex]
E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|E_{\vec{\beta}}\rangle = 0
[/tex]
Now, according to the text I read, this means that [itex]q [/itex] in the formula
[tex]
\frac{2\vec{\alpha}\cdot \vec{\mu}}{\vec{\alpha}^2}=-(p-q)
[/tex]
is zero, where [itex]\vec{\mu} [/itex] is a weight, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q [/itex] are integers. I couldn't understand why [itex]q=0 [/itex], if someone could explain to me.
Eα is treated as a ladder operator, when it acts on a state of some weight say |μ> it adds to it and give something proportional to|μ+α>. E will do the opposite.

In general, ##(E_α)^{P+1}|μ> =C E_α|μ+pα>=0## and ##(E_{-α})^{q+1}|μ> =C E_α|μ-qα>=0## for positive integers p and q.

comparing to your equation,
##E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|μ\rangle = 0##, we have ##q=0##.

So q=0 is the lowest state. Thanks...

In this case only, not in general.

1. What is a Simple roots Lie algebra?

A Simple roots Lie algebra is a type of algebraic structure that is used to study the properties of Lie groups. It is a finite-dimensional vector space equipped with a Lie bracket operation that satisfies certain properties. The "simple roots" refer to a specific basis of the vector space that is used to define the structure.

2. How is a Simple roots Lie algebra different from other Lie algebras?

The main difference between a Simple roots Lie algebra and other Lie algebras is that it does not contain any non-trivial ideals. This means that there are no proper subspaces of the algebra that are closed under the Lie bracket operation. As a result, Simple roots Lie algebras are often simpler and easier to study than other types of Lie algebras.

3. What are the applications of Simple roots Lie algebras?

Simple roots Lie algebras have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to classify and study Lie groups, which are important in differential geometry, topology, and representation theory. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and combinatorics.

4. How are Simple roots Lie algebras classified?

Simple roots Lie algebras are classified according to their "root system," which is a set of vectors that satisfies certain properties. There are five infinite families of Simple roots Lie algebras, called types A, B, C, D, and E, as well as a few exceptional cases. The classification is an important tool for understanding the structure and properties of these algebras.

5. Can Simple roots Lie algebras be studied computationally?

Yes, there are many computational tools and algorithms that can be used to study Simple roots Lie algebras. These include computer programs for calculating their root systems, Dynkin diagrams, and other important properties. These tools are especially useful for exploring the exceptional cases, which are often too complex to analyze by hand.