Simple roots Lie algebra

• Thread starter spookyfish
  • Start date
If [itex]\alpha [/itex] and [itex]\beta [/itex] are simple roots, then [itex]\alpha-\beta [/itex] is not. This means that
[tex]
E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|E_{\vec{\beta}}\rangle = 0
[/tex]
Now, according to the text I read, this means that [itex]q [/itex] in the formula
[tex]
\frac{2\vec{\alpha}\cdot \vec{\mu}}{\vec{\alpha}^2}=-(p-q)
[/tex]
is zero, where [itex]\vec{\mu} [/itex] is a weight, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q [/itex] are integers. I couldn't understand why [itex]q=0 [/itex], if someone could explain to me.

Answers and Replies

I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

If [itex]\alpha [/itex] and [itex]\beta [/itex] are simple roots, then [itex]\alpha-\beta [/itex] is not. This means that
[tex]
E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|E_{\vec{\beta}}\rangle = 0
[/tex]
Now, according to the text I read, this means that [itex]q [/itex] in the formula
[tex]
\frac{2\vec{\alpha}\cdot \vec{\mu}}{\vec{\alpha}^2}=-(p-q)
[/tex]
is zero, where [itex]\vec{\mu} [/itex] is a weight, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q [/itex] are integers. I couldn't understand why [itex]q=0 [/itex], if someone could explain to me.
Eα is treated as a ladder operator, when it acts on a state of some weight say |μ> it adds to it and give something proportional to|μ+α>. E will do the opposite.

In general, ##(E_α)^{P+1}|μ> =C E_α|μ+pα>=0## and ##(E_{-α})^{q+1}|μ> =C E_α|μ-qα>=0## for positive integers p and q.

comparing to your equation,
##E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|μ\rangle = 0##, we have ##q=0##.

So q=0 is the lowest state. Thanks...

In this case only, not in general.