Simple rotation/elasticity problem

• Thread starter ninjagowoowoo
  • Start date
In summary: So the angular speed is 3015.92895 rad/s.In summary, the amusement park ride consists of airplane-shaped cars attached to steel rods with a length of 14.0 m and a cross-sectional area of 0.000780m^2. The maximum angular speed when operating is 8.00 rev/min, which is converted to 3015.92895 rad/s. The Young's modulus for the rod is Y = 2×10^11 Pa and the free fall acceleration is g = 9.80 m/s^2. The rods are being stretched by the force of the car and attachment at the axis of rotation, and the calculation for the change in length involves the formula F=(mv
ninjagowoowoo
An amusement park ride consists of airplane-shaped cars attached to steel rods. Each rod has a length of 14.0 m and a cross-sectional area of 0.000780m^2. When operating, the ride has a maximum angular speed of 8.00 rev/min. How much is the rod stretched?

Take the Young's modulus for the rod to be Y = 2×10^11 Pa and the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2

Umm... I am really just stumped on this one. Really its just the rotation part that's messing me up. What outward force would be caused by the rotation? Would the rotation even change the amount stretched from a still position? Haha, I would really appreciate a push in the right direction. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The cars are going around in circles. Each car is subject to a centripetal force provided by the rods. The rods are being stretched by the force of the car and attachment at the axis of rotation.

Was the rotation axis specified? Is the motion horizontal?

ok so to find the tensile force, I will use the centripetal force. so F=(mv^2)/R. And v=R(omega). So F=R(omega)^2(m). But to find this force wouldn't I need to know the radius of the rotation?

ninjagowoowoo said:
Each rod has a length of 14.0 m
You'll have to decide if you want to assume that the rods are horizontal at the time you are interested in. I would simply because it would make things easier.

Nope still not working. using the formula for F that I gave earlier, and that
changeinlength = F(originallength)/(crosssectionalarea)(modulus)
I get that:
change in length = r(omega^2)m(orig length) / AY where Y is the modulus.
so I use the following values:
R = 14m
omega = 3015.92895rad/s (converted from rev/min)
m = 203.0612245 (1990N/9.8m/s/s)
orig length = 14m
A = 0.00078m^2
Y=2*10^11
and when i plug in the numbers I get a rediculous number (2320.602127m). Any other suggestions?

ninjagowoowoo said:
omega = 3015.92895rad/s (converted from rev/min)

and when i plug in the numbers I get a rediculous number (2320.602127m). Any other suggestions?

See if you can fix that ridiculous value for omega :smile:
I did not check the rest of your calculation

well if it was in rev/min wouldn't i have to convert it to rad/s?

*(2pi*60)?

8*2*pi = 50.2654825 radian/min * 60 = 3015.92... rad/sec

Last edited:
[tex]\omega = \frac{8\ \ rev}{min} \cdot \frac{2\pi\ \ rad}{rev} \cdot \frac{1\ \ min}{60\ \ sec} [/tex]

Usually a good idea to write units.

What is a simple rotation/elasticity problem?

A simple rotation or elasticity problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion or deformation of an object under the influence of external forces. It typically involves a rigid body that is able to rotate or a deformable body that is able to stretch or compress.

What are the key principles involved in solving a simple rotation/elasticity problem?

The key principles involved in solving a simple rotation/elasticity problem are conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, and Newton's laws of motion. These principles help to determine the forces acting on the object and its resulting motion or deformation.

How do you approach solving a simple rotation/elasticity problem?

The first step in solving a simple rotation/elasticity problem is to identify and draw a diagram of the object and the forces acting on it. Then, apply the relevant principles and equations to calculate the unknown quantities, such as the angular velocity or the deformation of the object.

What are some common real-world examples of simple rotation/elasticity problems?

Some common real-world examples of simple rotation/elasticity problems include the motion of a pendulum, the deformation of a spring, and the rotation of a wheel. These phenomena can be observed in everyday objects and can be analyzed using the principles of simple rotation and elasticity.

What are some important applications of understanding simple rotation/elasticity problems?

Understanding simple rotation/elasticity problems is essential in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and sports. It allows us to design structures and machines that can withstand external forces and operate efficiently. It also helps in analyzing the performance of athletes and improving their techniques to maximize their results.