Can Energy Be Created or Destroyed? Exploring the Law of Conservation

• Thread starter lurksalot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can be converted from one form to another. This concept can also be applied to matter, as it can be viewed as another form of energy. The famous equation, E=mc^2, shows the relationship between energy and mass. While the law of conservation of energy is widely accepted, there have been some instances, such as in nuclear processes, where mass can be converted into energy. However, there has been no violation of the law of conservation of energy in its original form, and it is considered an axiom in physics with strong empirical evidence. The "C" in E=mc^2 stands for the speed of light, which is approximately 3
lurksalot
simple school boy stuff ...

I know matter cannot be created or destroyed but is the same true of energy

Ive tried searching but...:frown:

I'm sure there is a definitive answer :wink: but I await your most knowledgeable replies

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
No, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. It can be converted from one form to another, however.

In fact, you can (loosely) think of matter as simply being another form of energy.

- Warren

chroot said:
In fact, you can (loosely) think of matter as simply being another form of energy.
Where E=mc2 comes from. E is for energy, and m, mass

Many thanks

I think conservation of mass is a purely a chemist's invention for chemical reactions, because in a manner mass can be destroyed (or at least become heat), through nuclear processes (as opposed to chemical processes). The resulting heat released from a nuclear fission is the loss of mass of its input components, and can be calculated using once again the famous equation (e= mc^2).

However, so far, there have not been any violation of the law of conservation of energy. I am unsure as to whether there is a rigorous explanation of this property, but I've heard that supersymmetry provides an answer. That is, the laws of conservation of energy MUST be preserved in order for all observers to share the same physical laws. However, I have not studied supersymmetry as of yet, so i cannot give a definitive answer.

However, in its original form, the law of conservation of energy is thought of as an axiom in physics, with its only proof being that of overwhelming empirical evidence.

Mk said:
Where E=mc2 comes from. E is for energy, and m, mass

Ok So Say I am New At This ... (And Iv'e Always Wanted to know)

What the hell does the "C" stand for? i know the E and M iv'e come across them many times but the C? people u forget about the C, tell me the C

C is the speed of light, which is approximatly [itex]3\times 10^8 m/s[/itex].

~H

Yea I had a feeling; buit wasn't sure on it

What is "Simple school boy stuff"?

"Simple school boy stuff" refers to basic or fundamental knowledge and skills that are typically taught to students in the early years of their education. This can include subjects like math, science, language arts, and social studies.

Why is "Simple school boy stuff" important?

"Simple school boy stuff" is important because it forms the foundation of a student's education. These basic skills and knowledge are necessary for understanding more complex concepts and succeeding in higher levels of education.

What are some examples of "Simple school boy stuff"?

Examples of "Simple school boy stuff" can include addition and subtraction in math, basic grammar and spelling in language arts, and learning about different animals and their habitats in science.

How can parents help their children with "Simple school boy stuff"?

Parents can help their children with "Simple school boy stuff" by providing a supportive and encouraging learning environment, assisting with homework and studying, and engaging in educational activities outside of school.

What resources are available for students who may be struggling with "Simple school boy stuff"?

There are many resources available for students who may be struggling with "Simple school boy stuff". These can include tutoring services, online educational tools and games, and additional support from teachers and parents.