Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple school boy stuff .

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    simple school boy stuff .......

I know matter cannot be created or destroyed but is the same true of energy

Ive tried searching but.........:frown:

I'm sure there is a definitive answer :wink: but I await your most knowledgeable replies

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. It can be converted from one form to another, however.

In fact, you can (loosely) think of matter as simply being another form of energy.

- Warren

4. Apr 14, 2006 #3

Mk

Where E=mc2 comes from. E is for energy, and m, mass

5. Apr 14, 2006 #4
    Many thanks

6. Apr 15, 2006 #5
    I think conservation of mass is a purely a chemist's invention for chemical reactions, because in a manner mass can be destroyed (or at least become heat), through nuclear processes (as opposed to chemical processes). The resulting heat released from a nuclear fission is the loss of mass of its input components, and can be calculated using once again the famous equation (e= mc^2).

However, so far, there have not been any violation of the law of conservation of energy. I am unsure as to whether there is a rigorous explanation of this property, but i've heard that supersymmetry provides an answer. That is, the laws of conservation of energy MUST be preserved in order for all observers to share the same physical laws. However, I have not studied supersymmetry as of yet, so i cannot give a definitive answer.

However, in its original form, the law of conservation of energy is thought of as an axiom in physics, with its only proof being that of overwhelming empirical evidence.

7. Apr 19, 2006 #6

Mk

8. Apr 19, 2006 #7

Ok So Say Im New At This .... (And Iv'e Always Wanted to know)

What the hell does the "C" stand for? i know the E and M iv'e come across them many times but the C? people u forget about the C, tell me the C

9. Apr 19, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C is the speed of light, which is approximatly [itex]3\times 10^8 m/s[/itex].

~H

10. Apr 19, 2006 #9
    Yea I had a feeling; buit wasn't sure on it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?