1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple series proof

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    show that if ## a_n ## is any sequence and m is any integer such that the series ## \displaystyle \sum_{n=m}^\infty a_n ## converges, then ## \displaystyle\lim_{k \to \infty} \sum_{n=k}^{\infty
    } a_n = 0 ##

let ## S_N = \displaystyle \sum_{n=m}^N a_n ##

## \lim_{N \to \infty} S_N = l ## from definition
    also,
    ## \lim_{N \to \infty} S_{N-1} = l ##

## S_N - S_{N-1} = a_N ##

## \lim_{N \to \infty} (S_N - S_{N-1}) = \lim_{N \to \infty}(S_N) - \lim_{N \to \infty} S_{N-1} = 0 ## then ## \lim_{N \to \infty} a_N = 0 ## i.e. ## \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=m}^N a_n = 0 \Rightarrow \lim_{k \to \infty} \sum_{n=k}^{\infty} a_n = 0 ##

as you can see I don't really know how to prove this statement, but I have attempted it.

Could someone show me how I can proceed to do the proof properly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You are given that
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=m}^\infty a_n
    [/tex]
    converges. Thus you have
    [tex]
    L = \sum_{n=m}^\infty a_n = S_{k-1} + \sum_{n = k}^{\infty} a_n
    [/tex]
    so that
    [tex]
    |L - S_{k-1}| = \left| \sum_{n = k}^{\infty} a_n \right|
    [/tex]

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    how did you get ## L = \sum_{n=m}^\infty a_n = S_{k-1} + \sum_{n=k}^{\infty} a_n ##?

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

They've just written it as a sum of two series.

6. Nov 7, 2013 #5
    I do not believe it is correct though.
    It should read [itex]L=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n = S_{k-1}+\sum_{n=k}^\infty a_n[/itex].
    This is to be seen from the definition of [itex]S_k = \sum_{n=0}^k a_n[/itex].

The final step in post #2 is correct. (Although I'm not entirely sure why the absolute value shows up, but it doesn't make any difference here)

7. Nov 7, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

Read the OP. We are told that [itex]\sum_{n=m}^\infty a_n[/itex] converges for some integer [itex]m[/itex]. In particular, we are not told that [itex]m[/itex] is positive. Therefore the OP's definition of [itex]S_k = \sum_{n=m}^{k} a_n[/itex] is correct.

However, in any event the behaviour of a finite number of terms at the beginning of a sequence does not affect convergence of the series.

8. Nov 7, 2013 #7
    My bad, sorry for the confusion.
    But this doesn't change anything indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted