Sum of n*cos(1/n) over (2n+1) - Divergence Explained | Simplified Series

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the sum from 1 to infinity of n*cos(1/n) over (2n+1). After attempting to simplify the problem and taking the limit, it is concluded that the series diverges. The idea that the bottom term being larger than the top would make the series converge is disproved by testing with sample terms.
frasifrasi
Question asks to evaluate sum from 1 to infinity of n*cos(1/n) over (2n+1)

--> I am not sure how to do this.

I tried simplifying it to n/(2n+1) since the cos term is approaching 1 as n --> infinity. If i take the limit for that i get 1/2, so I concluded the series diverges.
--> but the bottom term is bigger than the top term, so why wouldn't it converge?

Thank you(it has been a while since I learned this so I am a bit confused).

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it converge just because the bottom term is larger than the top? You've already reached the correct conclusion. The limit of the nth term is 1/2. The sum can't possibly converge.

I am saying, if i look at n/(2n+1), as n gets higher, the bottom is growing faster, so wouldn't it go to 0?

There is nothing wrong with posing theories like "If the denominator of a fraction is growing faster than the numerator then the limit is zero." We are doing mathematics here, so the next step is to test it. Take some sample terms like n=1000. 1000/2001. n=1000000. 1000000/2000001. They don't look like they are going to zero to me. It looks like they are approaching 1/2. So your 'theory' must be wrong. Try it with n/(2n).

What is the formula for the sum of n*cos(1/n) over (2n+1)?

The formula for the sum of n*cos(1/n) over (2n+1) is given by S = Σ(n*cos(1/n)/(2n+1)), where Σ represents the summation symbol and n ranges from 1 to infinity.

What is the significance of the "n*cos(1/n)" term in the formula?

The "n*cos(1/n)" term in the formula represents the oscillating behavior of the series, where the cosine function causes the terms to alternate in sign. This can lead to the series either converging or diverging, depending on the values of n.

How can the convergence or divergence of this series be determined?

The convergence or divergence of this series can be determined using the Limit Comparison Test, where the series is compared to a simpler series with known convergence or divergence. If the limit of the ratio between the two series is a non-zero value, then the series in question diverges. If the limit is zero, then the series converges.

What is the significance of the "2n+1" term in the denominator of the formula?

The "2n+1" term in the denominator of the formula represents the growth rate of the series. As n increases, the denominator grows at a faster rate than the numerator, which can impact the convergence or divergence of the series.

Can the divergence of this series be explained in simpler terms?

Yes, the divergence of this series can be explained by the fact that the terms do not approach zero as n approaches infinity. This means that the series does not have a finite limit and thus diverges. The oscillating behavior of the terms also contributes to the divergence of the series.