1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple series question.

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    Question asks to evaluate sum from 1 to infinity of n*cos(1/n) over (2n+1)

--> I am not sure how to do this.

I tried simplifying it to n/(2n+1) since the cos term is approaching 1 as n --> infinity. If i take the limit for that i get 1/2, so I concluded the series diverges.
    --> but the bottom term is bigger than the top term, so why wouldn't it converge?

Thank you(it has been a while since I learned this so I am a bit confused).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would it converge just because the bottom term is larger than the top? You've already reached the correct conclusion. The limit of the nth term is 1/2. The sum can't possibly converge.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3
    I am saying, if i look at n/(2n+1), as n gets higher, the bottom is growing faster, so wouldn't it go to 0?

5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is nothing wrong with posing theories like "If the denominator of a fraction is growing faster than the numerator then the limit is zero." We are doing mathematics here, so the next step is to test it. Take some sample terms like n=1000. 1000/2001. n=1000000. 1000000/2000001. They don't look like they are going to zero to me. It looks like they are approaching 1/2. So your 'theory' must be wrong. Try it with n/(2n).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?