Simplifying a Sum of Squared Terms: A Geometric Series Approach

In summary, the problem is to simplify the sum from j=0 to infinite of x^(2j). This can be approached by considering it as a geometric series, which will diverge for IxI>1 and converge for 0<IxI<1. It is also helpful to observe that x^(2j) can be written as (x^2)^j and to recall how to factor differences of higher powers using a key formula. Taking the limit of the partial sums will provide the solution for the convergence of the series for 0<IxI<1.
Nusc

Homework Statement

How can I simplify sum from j=0 to infinite of x^(2j) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

THis is close to the geometric series but I'd have to square each individual term

Physics news on Phys.org
well this looks like a gjeometric series, it will diverge for IxI>1, and it will converge for 0<IxI<1

what else are u looking for?

Look at its partial sums, take the limit and you will get the result, i mean where it converges to for 0<IxI<1

Ignore what i just said, in my posts #2,3
EDIT: Well don't ignore them, they seem to be right. Can you go from there?

Last edited:
You might also observe that [itex]x^{2j} = (x^2)^j [/itex] so start with the problem [itex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty a^j[/itex]
and later set [itex] a = x^2[/itex]

while you're at it recall how to factor differences of higher powers, e.g. [itex] a^5 - 1 = [/itex]? There's a key formula you'll need.

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. The series can be written in the form of a sum of terms, such as 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ...

2. How does a geometric series approach simplify a sum of squared terms?

The geometric series approach uses the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series to simplify a sum of squared terms. This formula is S = a / (1 - r), where 'a' is the first term and 'r' is the common ratio. By substituting the appropriate values, the sum of squared terms can be simplified into a single term.

3. Why is a geometric series approach beneficial for simplifying sums of squared terms?

A geometric series approach is beneficial because it allows for a quick and efficient simplification of sums of squared terms. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between terms, making it easier to find the sum without having to manually add each term.

4. Can a geometric series approach be used for all sums of squared terms?

No, a geometric series approach can only be used for sums of squared terms that follow a geometric pattern. If the terms do not follow a constant ratio, then this approach will not work.

5. How can a geometric series approach be applied in real-life situations?

A geometric series approach can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating compound interest, population growth, or depreciation of assets. It can also be used in engineering and physics to model exponential growth or decay. Essentially, any situation that involves a constant growth or decay rate can be solved using a geometric series approach.