1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple set notation

1. Jul 13, 2005 #1
    *Suppose I want to find the range of the set [tex] \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\} [/tex], that is, the difference between the maximum and minimum values (of the elements that is!) in the set.

Do I have to fully write out,
    [tex] \max \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\} - \min \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\} [/tex]

Or is there some nice shorthand/other notation to use ?
    Maybe something like
    [tex] \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\}|_{\min }^{\max } [/tex] ??

*Is there any symbol/notation/shorthand available to represent a set's range?
    (b/c writing out [itex] \max \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\} - \min \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\} [/itex] is quite tedious:redface:!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2
  4. Jul 13, 2005 #3
    I know what range means, mr. iNCREDiBLE ...
    (that's not the problem)

I just need a better notation for it!

From reading those pages, I suppose the notation would be
    [tex] {R} \left\{ {t_1 ,t_2 , \ldots ,t_n } \right\} [/tex] ?

Am I correct ?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  5. Jul 13, 2005 #4
    I know that you know what it means, mr. bomba923. I'm just trying to help you.
    It says clearly that the range is denoted as [tex]R = max_j(t_j) - min_j(t_j)[/tex].

6. Jul 13, 2005 #5
    Which pretty much is the same as..
    Except for the subscripts identifying which variable is considered for maximums/minimums and that the sets are written in condensed form :cool:

7. Jul 14, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using "order stats" notation, you could write t(n:n) - t(1:n), could even write t(n) - t(1). Or you could type "XYZ" for range and then do a search-and-replace with the correct notation.

8. Jul 14, 2005 #7
    Hey, um, just one more notation question:
    *Is it generally understood that [tex] \mathbb{Q}^ + [/tex] refers to the set of all positive rationals?
    (just like [itex] \mathbb{R}^ + [/itex] refers to the set of all positive reals)

Right?

9. Jul 15, 2005 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not a mathematician by trade, but I have seen both R+ and R+ to refer to positive reals; so by extrapolation I guess same notation would hold for Q as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?