1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Set Theory Proofs

1. May 27, 2015 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Prove that if [itex] A \cap B = A [/itex] and [itex] A \cup B = A [/itex], then [itex] A = B [/itex]
    2. Show that in general [itex] (A-B) \cup B \neq A [/itex]
    3. Prove that [itex](A-B) \cap C = (A \cap C) - (B \cap C)[/itex]
    4. Prove that [itex] \cup_{\alpha} A_{\alpha} - \cup_{\alpha} B_{\alpha} \subset \cup_{\alpha} (A_{\alpha} - B_{\alpha})[/itex]
    2. Relevant equations
    None that I can think of.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. For the first one, it seems pretty clear to me going by the logic of the operations [itex] \cap [/itex] and [itex] \cup [/itex], because [itex] A \cup B [/itex] is both the sets joined, and if that equals A, B must be the empty set or A. The second part says [itex] A \cap B = A [/itex], the intersection of two sets is only what the two sets have in common, therefore B must be equivalent to A because in the previous part we found [itex] B=A [/itex] or [itex] B = \emptyset [/itex] and it cannot be the empty set because the empty set intersected with any set is the empty set. I came to the correct conclusion but I don't think my logic is sound.

2. I can show by an example, if [itex] A = {1, 2, 3} [/itex] and [itex] B = {5, 6 ,7} [/itex], therefore [itex] A- B = {1 , 2, 3} [/itex] and [itex] (A-B) \cup B = {1,2,3,5,6,7} \neq A [/itex]. This is just one example and I know this doesn't prove it in general. But I'm not sure how to start.

3. If [itex] x \in (A-B)\cap C [/itex] then [itex]x\in (A-B)[/itex] AND [itex]x\in C[/itex], since [itex]x \in (A-B), x\notin B[/itex] by the definition of subtraction of sets. Therefore [itex] x\in A\cap C[/itex] and [itex] x\notin B\cap C [/itex]. Therefore x is in the subtraction of [itex]A\cap C[/itex] and [itex]B\cap C[/itex]. Which proves the identity for any arbitrary element [itex]x[/itex]..... right? (the best way to end a proof is ".... right?")

I am not sure where to start for 4.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I believe your logic is quite sound for question 1. Near the end to clarify the argument, I would have said ##B## cannot be the empty set because the intersection of the empty set with anything is the empty set. We know ##A## intersect ##B## is equal to ##A## and not the empty set, so it must be the case ##A = B##.

2. Your logic for question 2 is good as well. You have found a counter example; One counter example is enough to verify the claim in general.

3. Right.

4. I will think about this more after dinner.

4. May 27, 2015 #3

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

Okay, cool. I'm not as bad as I thought!

5. May 27, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

4. Prove that: ##\cup_{\alpha} A_{\alpha} - \cup_{\alpha} B_{\alpha} \subset \cup_{\alpha} (A_{\alpha} - B_{\alpha})##.

To gain some insight, lets write:

$$\cup_{\alpha} A_{\alpha} - \cup_{\alpha} B_{\alpha} \subset \cup_{\alpha} (A_{\alpha} - B_{\alpha})$$
    $$(A_1 \cup \cdots \cup A_n) - (B_1 \cup \cdots \cup B_n) \subset (A_1 - B_1) \cup \cdots \cup (A_n - B_n)$$

Can you show every element in the set on the left is contained in the set on the right? That is, ##\forall x \in (A_1 \cup \cdots \cup A_n) - (B_1 \cup \cdots \cup B_n)## can you show ##x \in (A_1 - B_1) \cup \cdots \cup (A_n - B_n)##?

6. May 27, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. May 27, 2015 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If A = {1, 2, 3, 4} and B = {2, 3}, then ##A \cup B = \{1,2,3,4\}=A## but ##B \ne A## and ##B \ne \emptyset##.

8. May 28, 2015 #7

wabbit

Gold Member

Sorry but this is completely wrong. ##A\cap B =A## does not imply in any way that B should be A or the empty set.

@B3NR4Y, try to think again about what ##A\cap B=A## means. First, do you see that this is equivalent to ##A\subset A\cap B## ?

9. May 28, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you mean that ##A\cap B=A## is equivalent to ##A\subset B##

10. May 28, 2015 #9

wabbit

Gold Member

No, I meant exactly what I said. I was trying to get OP think by himself by only spelling out a minimal step.

11. May 28, 2015 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would try to be much more specific. To prove "A= B" you need to prove "A is a subset of B" and "B is a subset of A".

To prove "A is a subset of B" start with "If x is an element of A" and use the properties of both A and B to conclude "x is an element of B".

To prove " if [itex] A \cap B = A [/itex] and [itex] A \cup B = A [/itex], then [itex] A = B [/itex]"
    start, "if x is an element of A, then, because [itex]A \cap B= A[/itex] x is an element of B. Therefore A is a subset of B.
    if y is an element of B then [itex]A\cup B= A[/itex], y is an element of A. Therefore B is a subset of A. Therefore A= B."

12. May 28, 2015 #11

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

Okay so for 3, [itex]x\in (A\cap C) - (B\cap C) [/itex], which implies [itex]x\in A \cap C[/itex] but [itex]x\notin B\cap C[/itex] and from that it follows [itex]x \in A,C[/itex] and [itex]x\notin B[/itex], therefore [itex]\forall x\in (A\cap C) - (B\cap C), \, \, x\in (A-B)\cap C[/itex] which proves [itex](A\cap C) - (B\cap C)\subset (A-B)\cap C[/itex] and I've already proven that the converse is true, so this completes the proof?

Okay I think I understand it better now, to prove two things are equivalent I need to prove the are subsets of each other, and for problems like 4, I only need to prove that any arbitrary "x" in the first part is also in the second part.

I am working from "Introductory Real Analysis" by Kolmogorov and Fomin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted