Simple Sets Homework: Q on f[A] & f[B] General Statement

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses whether certain statements about functions and sets are true or not. The first statement (a) is proven to be false in general by providing a counter-example. The second statement (b) is also believed to be false, but the conversation suggests that it may be true for injective functions. The conversation also mentions that the union of sets behaves nicely under a function, unlike the other operations discussed. Finally, the conversation provides an example to clarify the false behavior of statement (a) and discusses the potential truth of statement (b).
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

All the b's in f should be capitalized for the problem statement and attempt; I had it in the latex but it showed up lower case in the post I don't know why, my apologies =p.
If [itex]f:X \mapsto Y [/itex] and [itex]A \subset X, B \subset X[/itex], is:
(a) [itex]f[A \cap B] = f[A] \cap f [/itex] in general?
(b) [itex]f[A - B] = f[A] - f [/itex] in general?

The Attempt at a Solution

My ability to write proofs is atrocious at best so bear with me please =D.
For (a), let [itex]y\in f[A \cap B][/itex], then there is an [itex]x\in A \cap B[/itex] such that [itex](x, y) \in f[/itex]. Since [itex]x\in A [/itex] and [itex]x\in B [/itex], [itex]y\in f[A]\cap f [/itex] and [itex]f[A\cap B]\subset f[A]\cap f[/itex]. Now, let [itex]y\in f[A]\cap f[/itex]. For [itex](a, y)\in f, a\in A[/itex] and [itex](b, y)\in f, b\in B [/itex] [itex]a \neq b[/itex] in general so even if [itex]y\in f[A]\cap f[/itex], [itex]x\notin A\cap B[/itex] in general. Therefore, the statement (a) is not true in general. Is this enough?
(b) I have more of a question with this one: if [itex]y\in f[A] [/itex] and [itex]y\notin f [/itex] does that necessarily mean [itex]x\in A - B[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part of a) looks OK.
The second part is probably true, but it is not very clear.
Note that if you suspect that a statement is false, in general it is simplest to try and find a counter-example. You have already shown that you cannot find an [itex]y \in f(A \cap B)[/itex] which is not in [itex]f[(A) \cap f(B)[/itex], so you know where to look for the counter-example.

For b), the same advice. Can you think of a set A and a set B, such that x is not in A - B, but f(x) is in f(A) - f(B)?

Both statements are true by the way, when you replace f by f-1 (defined by [itex]f^{-1}(y) = \{ x \in X \mid f(x) = y \}[/itex]). This should also give you the hint that you won't find any counterexamples for injective functions (for which f-1(y) is unique for all y).

Last edited:
Note that it IS true that

[tex]f(A\cup B)=f(A)\cup f(B)[/tex]

so the union behaves nicely. Unlike the two operations in the OP.

Just throwing that out there :smile:

Sorry for responding so late but I'm on the move as it would seem =D.
For (a) if [itex]f:x \mapsto x^2 [/itex] and [itex]A = [1 , 2, 3][/itex], [itex]B = [-5 , -4, -1][/itex] then [itex]f(A) = [1, 4, 9][/itex], [itex]f(B) = [25, 16, 1][/itex]. In this case, [itex]f(A \cap B) = \varnothing [/itex] so [itex]f(A)\cap f(B) \nsubseteq f(A \cap B)[/itex]. I guess that makes it more clear.
For (b), if [itex]x\in A[/itex] and [itex]x\in B[/itex] then [itex]y\notin f(A) - f(B)[/itex] which can't be. So I think the statement is true? I'm still not sure because the question asks me to determine which is more well behaved, [itex]f[/itex] or [itex]f^{-1}[/itex], in terms of sets so I'm thinking something should be wrong with the statement (b) xD.

1. What is a simple set?

A simple set is a collection of distinct elements with no repetitions. It can be represented using curly braces and a list of elements within the braces, such as {1, 2, 3}.

2. What does f[A] mean in the context of simple sets homework?

f[A] refers to the image or output of the function f when applied to the set A. This means that for each element in set A, the function f will be applied and the resulting elements will make up the set f[A].

3. Can you give an example of f[A]?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2 and the set A = {1, 2, 3}. When we apply the function f to each element in A, we get the set f[A] = {1, 4, 9}.

4. What about f[B]?

f[B] follows the same concept, but with a different set B. So if we have the same function f(x) = x^2 and the set B = {2, 4, 6}, then f[B] = {4, 16, 36}.

5. What is the general statement for f[A] and f[B]?

The general statement is that for a function f and sets A and B, the sets f[A] and f[B] are defined as the outputs of the function f when applied to the elements of sets A and B, respectively.