1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple sets question

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    All the b's in f should be capitalized for the problem statement and attempt; I had it in the latex but it showed up lower case in the post I don't know why, my apologies =p.
    If [itex]f:X \mapsto Y [/itex] and [itex]A \subset X, B \subset X[/itex], is:
    (a) [itex]f[A \cap B] = f[A] \cap f [/itex] in general?
    (b) [itex]f[A - B] = f[A] - f [/itex] in general?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My ability to write proofs is atrocious at best so bear with me please =D.
    For (a), let [itex]y\in f[A \cap B][/itex], then there is an [itex]x\in A \cap B[/itex] such that [itex](x, y) \in f[/itex]. Since [itex]x\in A [/itex] and [itex]x\in B [/itex], [itex]y\in f[A]\cap f [/itex] and [itex]f[A\cap B]\subset f[A]\cap f[/itex]. Now, let [itex]y\in f[A]\cap f[/itex]. For [itex](a, y)\in f, a\in A[/itex] and [itex](b, y)\in f, b\in B [/itex] [itex]a \neq b[/itex] in general so even if [itex]y\in f[A]\cap f[/itex], [itex]x\notin A\cap B[/itex] in general. Therefore, the statement (a) is not true in general. Is this enough?
    (b) I have more of a question with this one: if [itex]y\in f[A] [/itex] and [itex]y\notin f [/itex] does that necessarily mean [itex]x\in A - B[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first part of a) looks OK.
    The second part is probably true, but it is not very clear.
    Note that if you suspect that a statement is false, in general it is simplest to try and find a counter-example. You have already shown that you cannot find an [itex]y \in f(A \cap B)[/itex] which is not in [itex]f[(A) \cap f(B)[/itex], so you know where to look for the counter-example.

For b), the same advice. Can you think of a set A and a set B, such that x is not in A - B, but f(x) is in f(A) - f(B)?

Both statements are true by the way, when you replace f by f-1 (defined by [itex]f^{-1}(y) = \{ x \in X \mid f(x) = y \}[/itex]). This should also give you the hint that you won't find any counterexamples for injective functions (for which f-1(y) is unique for all y).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Aug 17, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Note that it IS true that

[tex]f(A\cup B)=f(A)\cup f(B)[/tex]

so the union behaves nicely. Unlike the two operations in the OP.

Just throwing that out there :smile:

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Sorry for responding so late but I'm on the move as it would seem =D.
    For (a) if [itex]f:x \mapsto x^2 [/itex] and [itex]A = [1 , 2, 3][/itex], [itex]B = [-5 , -4, -1][/itex] then [itex]f(A) = [1, 4, 9][/itex], [itex]f(B) = [25, 16, 1][/itex]. In this case, [itex]f(A \cap B) = \varnothing [/itex] so [itex]f(A)\cap f(B) \nsubseteq f(A \cap B)[/itex]. I guess that makes it more clear.
    For (b), if [itex]x\in A[/itex] and [itex]x\in B[/itex] then [itex]y\notin f(A) - f(B)[/itex] which can't be. So I think the statement is true? I'm still not sure because the question asks me to determine which is more well behaved, [itex]f[/itex] or [itex]f^{-1}[/itex], in terms of sets so I'm thinking something should be wrong with the statement (b) xD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook