Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple simple question

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm doing a physics science fair, and I was just wondering if you guys know any cooling laws related speifically to surface area.

You see, for my science fair, I got three jars that had the same volume, but different surface areas. Then I filled them with hot water to see which one could come to room temperature fastest.

I need a law that I was supposedly "verifying" for my experiment.
    I'd really appreciate any information.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're looking for Newton's law of cooling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling

Heat conduction (energy per unit time) is linearly proportional to the surface area.

- Warren

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    hmm.. I don't kno.. isn't Newton's law about the difference in temperatures between the two things? I need something that deals with surface area and heat loss.

Am I right, or am I just confused?

5. Mar 25, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at the equation. A is the area. As I said, the heat conduction varies linearly with the area.

- Warren

6. Mar 25, 2006 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct in that Newton's law deals with a difference in temperature. It gives the energy transfer between objects of different temperature, but there is more to it then just temperature.

The temperature of a match is about the same as that of a bonfire (both are burning wood) but the difference in the amount of heat transferred by the 2 sources is huge. Newton's law assumes that the key factor in the difference is the surface area of the 2 sources.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook