1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple simple question

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm doing a physics science fair, and I was just wondering if you guys know any cooling laws related speifically to surface area.

You see, for my science fair, I got three jars that had the same volume, but different surface areas. Then I filled them with hot water to see which one could come to room temperature fastest.

I need a law that I was supposedly "verifying" for my experiment.
    I'd really appreciate any information.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're looking for Newton's law of cooling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling

Heat conduction (energy per unit time) is linearly proportional to the surface area.

- Warren

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    hmm.. I don't kno.. isn't Newton's law about the difference in temperatures between the two things? I need something that deals with surface area and heat loss.

Am I right, or am I just confused?

5. Mar 25, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at the equation. A is the area. As I said, the heat conduction varies linearly with the area.

- Warren

6. Mar 25, 2006 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct in that Newton's law deals with a difference in temperature. It gives the energy transfer between objects of different temperature, but there is more to it then just temperature.

The temperature of a match is about the same as that of a bonfire (both are burning wood) but the difference in the amount of heat transferred by the 2 sources is huge. Newton's law assumes that the key factor in the difference is the surface area of the 2 sources.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?