1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Single Variable Derivative Question

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    wow! I am having a major brain fart here .. I'm in multivariable calc but I need to take the derivative of a single variable function using the definition of derivative. The function is:

f(x)=abs(x)^(3/2) and I need to find the derivative when a=0

so by the def of derivative, the derivative equals:

lim (h->0) of [abs(a+h)^(3/2)-abs(a)^3/2]/h

I know I'm not allowed to just "plug in" a=0 to get the derivative at this point .. but how do I do it? I can't combine the absolute value terms because of the triangle inequality (for ex. abs(-6)-abs(3)=3 but abs(-6-3)=9)

help! I feel really stupid right now. :grumpy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

why can't you plug a=0 ?:grumpy:
  4. Oct 28, 2005 #3
    I thought when you were using definition of derivitive, you aren't allowed to plug in for a until you have it simplified? Am I wrong? I could be .. it's been a year since I've had to work with definition of derivative.
  5. Oct 28, 2005 #4
    There's no such rule. "a" is a placeholder for a constant; place your constant in there to get the derivative there. Leave it as "a" to get an expression for the derivative (if it exists) at all values of "a". :smile:
  6. Oct 28, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

use the *other* definition of limit:
    f '(a) = lim (x->a) of [abs(x)^(3/2)-abs(a)^3/2]/(x-a)

then factor the top as a difference of cubes.
  7. Oct 28, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You cannot plug in h= 0 because that would give 0/0. But if you are finding the derivative at a given x= a, you certainly can plug in that value of a before you start. You are looking for
    That should be easy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?