Simple Solar Project: DIY Reflector & Lens Under $10

In summary: I am making a solar reflector or transmitting lens that must cost less than $10 and cannot use any commercial items. My plan is to use tin foil shaped into a sphere with a black garbage bag filled with water to absorb heat, and possibly a condom filled with water as a lens. Other suggestions include using a flat, thin mirror and a salad bowl with sculptor's clay to aim at a focus point, or finding clear, rounded food bowls and using a flat rubber band to seal the edges for a concave lens.
Tom McCurdy
For a project as in intro to a class I am taking we are making a simple solar reflector (or a transmitting lens). The restrictions are that the materials must cost less than 10 dollars, and no commercial item may be directly used for the reflective or refractive objects. Whatever you build is used to try and melt wax.

My idea was to use tin foil as in the shape of a sphere to reflect the light in the middle, with a black garbage back filled with water to absorb the heat. I was also thinking about using a condom filled with water as a lens.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
** Maybe start with a flat, thin mirror, a salad bowl, and some sculptor's clay. Cut the mirror into little pieces, maybe 1cm^2 each, and attach them to the bowl using the clay, and align each to aim at the focus point.

** Or, see if you can find some clear food bowls that are fairly rounded, without too much of a flat base. Then put two under water to fill them up, and use a flat band of rubber (like cut from an inner tube) to seal the edges for long enough to serve as a concave lens.

BTW, this is more of a general physics question, rather than just EE, so I'll go ahead and move it to Intro Physics to get it more views.

Great Ideas~
Thanks for the advice

1. How does the reflector and lens in this DIY solar project work?

The reflector and lens work together to concentrate sunlight onto a specific point, increasing the intensity of the light. The reflector bounces sunlight towards the lens, which then focuses the light onto a small area. This concentrated light can then be used for various purposes, such as heating water or powering a solar panel.

2. What materials are needed for this project?

The materials needed for this project include a cardboard box, aluminum foil, a magnifying glass or convex lens, and adhesive materials such as glue or tape. These materials are all affordable and can be easily found at hardware or craft stores.

3. How much sunlight can this DIY reflector and lens produce?

The amount of sunlight produced will depend on the size and quality of the materials used, as well as the angle and positioning of the reflector and lens. However, with the right materials and setup, this project has the potential to produce a significant amount of concentrated sunlight.

4. Is this project safe to build and use?

As with any DIY project, safety precautions should always be taken. It is important to use caution when working with sharp objects and hot surfaces, and to follow all instructions carefully. Additionally, this project should only be used outdoors and in direct sunlight to avoid potential fire hazards.

5. Can this DIY reflector and lens be used for other purposes besides solar energy?

Yes, this project can be used for other purposes besides solar energy. For example, it can be used for starting fires, melting or cooking food, or even as a makeshift signal for emergency situations. However, always use caution and follow proper safety guidelines when using this project for non-solar purposes.