1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple special relativity

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    High energy photon of energy E collides with a low energy photon of energy 1eV. It forms an electron-positron pair. I have found the threshold energy as E=261GeV.

I am asked to find the speed of the centre of mass at this threshold energy.

2. Relevant equations
    E=γmc2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can use conservation of energy to get the energy of the electron (or positron) say then use the above formula to find v from γ. I believe this then should be the CM speed. However it returns c. I don't believe that this is an acceptable solution (I don't have the answers though). Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2
    I realise it may be a bit vague. Just in case, the full question is

A high-energy photon γ1 of energy E traveling through space interacts with an
    infra-red photon γ2 of energy 1 eV to produce an electron-positron pair via the reaction
    γ12→e-+e+
    By considering the total energy and the total momentum show that the threshold value of E required for this process is 261 GeV.

What is the velocity of the centre of mass at this threshold?

I have the 261GeV, but can only get speed c for the second bit (as outlined in my original post).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted