Simple spring constant problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Hooke's law to determine the spring constant when a mass is suspended from a spring. The spring increases by 6.90 cm when a mass of 1.10 kg is hung from it. However, the force cannot simply be assumed as the mass, as weight is also a factor in determining force. Therefore, the mass must be multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (g) to find the force.
kbyws37
The length of a spring increases by 6.90 cm from its relaxed length when a mass of 1.10 kg is suspended from the spring.What is the spring constant?

so I know that ultimately i use hooke's law which is
F=kx
but how would i figure out F if i only have the mass?

I can't do F=ma b/c i don't have the acceleration.
I'm confused
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that this spring will be vertical when the mass is suspended from it.

so will i assume that the force is the mass of the spring.
so
F=kx
(1.10) = k (6.90)

but it says I'm wrong

kbyws37 said:
so will i assume that the force is the mass of the spring.
so
F=kx
(1.10) = k (6.90)

but it says I'm wrong

The force can't equal the mass. Weight can be a force, and it equals m*g.

thanks!
i think i wasn't thinking straight :)

1. What is a simple spring constant problem?

A simple spring constant problem involves determining the force required to stretch or compress a spring a certain distance. It is a common physics problem that is used to understand the relationship between force and displacement in a spring.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes. The formula is k=F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

3. What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the units of force and displacement used. In the SI system, the units of spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m).

4. How does the spring constant affect the force required to stretch a spring?

The spring constant is directly related to the force required to stretch a spring. A higher spring constant means that more force is required to stretch the spring a certain distance, and vice versa.

5. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material and shape of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit, causing it to permanently deform.