1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Static Problem

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q) A transmission cable AB exerts a 3000N force on the pole in the direction of the tangent to the cable at A (see Fig. 1). Determine the required tension T in the wire AB if the resultant of the two forces at A is to be vertical (1 point). Find the magnitude R of the resultant (2 points).
    Untitled.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    ƩF = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    image.jpg
    I want to understand what does it mean that the 3000 N force on the pole in the direction of the tangent cable at A.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Sam Fred! :smile:
    I found that very puzzling until I looked at the diagram …

a cable will normally be slightly curved, as shown in the diagram

the tension will still be along the cable, so it will be in the direction of the cable at the point of attachment to the pole

ie it will be in the direction of the tangent to the cable where it meets the pole …

as you can see in the diagram, that tangent is marked as being at -20°, while the cable itself curves gracefully away from the tangent as it goes left :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted