Solve Statics Problem: Find Theta Angle Balance

• Thread starter Ortix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system for the angle theta at which it is in balance, with all forces equaling out to 0. The answer is in terms of variables and involves using moments and summing forces to determine the unknown forces along BC and the compression force in the beam.
Ortix
I basically have to solve the system below for which angle theta it's in balance. Meaning all forces equal out to 0. The answer is in terms of the variables.
inqjf.png

It's been a while since I've done statics like this but it has come back to bite me in the *** again.

I started out by moments about A:
2L*cos(θ)*Cx - P*L*sin(θ)

But now what? If I do sum of forces in X I get that Ax = Cx and then I get stuck with the sum of forces in Y

Do I have to make a cut somewhere? Not sure about to go about solving with the spring.

The answer is:
cos(θ) = 0.5*(1+(P/2kL))

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
At C, there is an unknown horizontal force C<->wall, a vertical force (depends on the position of C only via the spring) and an unknown force along BC. You can relate theta to the position of C, and that allows to determine the two unknown forces.
Consider the equlibrium at B to relate the force in the lower arm to the force in the upper arm. That might be sufficient to solve the problem, otherwise consider forces at A.

with the unknown force along BC do you mean the normal force inside the beam?

Ortix said:
with the unknown force along BC do you mean the normal force inside the beam?
The compression force in the beam. Note that because of the free joints at each end, there can be no torque passed through the beam.

I would approach this problem by first identifying all the forces acting on the system and their respective directions. From there, I would apply the principles of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x and y directions must equal zero, and the sum of all moments about any point must also equal zero. In this case, the point A seems like a good choice for calculating moments.

To solve the problem, I would start by setting up the equations for the sum of forces and moments in terms of the variables given. This would involve using trigonometric functions to represent the forces in their respective directions. From there, I would manipulate the equations to solve for the unknown variable, in this case, theta.

I would also consider making a cut in the system to isolate the spring and analyze it separately. This would involve using Hooke's Law to relate the force exerted by the spring to its displacement.

Once I have the equations set up, I would use algebraic manipulation and possibly calculus techniques to solve for theta. I would also check my answer by plugging it back into the original equations to ensure that all forces and moments are balanced.

In conclusion, solving this statics problem requires a thorough understanding of the principles of equilibrium and the ability to manipulate equations and solve for unknown variables. By carefully analyzing the system and applying these principles, the desired answer can be obtained.

1. What is the purpose of solving statics problems?

Solving statics problems allows scientists and engineers to analyze and understand the forces acting on a stationary object. This is important in designing structures and machines that can withstand and balance these forces.

2. How do you find the theta angle in a statics problem?

To find the theta angle in a statics problem, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, or tangent depending on the given information and the type of problem. You may also need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find missing side lengths.

3. Can you solve a statics problem without knowing all the forces?

Yes, it is possible to solve a statics problem without knowing all the forces. This is because statics problems involve balancing forces, so if you know the forces acting on one side of the object, you can use the principle of equilibrium to determine the missing forces on the other side.

4. What are some common techniques for solving statics problems?

Some common techniques for solving statics problems include drawing free body diagrams, applying the principle of equilibrium, using trigonometric functions, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, solvable parts.

5. How can solving statics problems be useful in real-life applications?

Solving statics problems can be useful in real-life applications such as designing structures, calculating the load bearing capacity of bridges and buildings, and determining the balance of forces in machines. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture.